Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air drying or Kiln drying

Options
  • 21-03-2005 10:08pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I,d be interested to know if any of you are drying your own timber, buying kiln dried, or using green timber. Or what methods you use to convert your timber for use.

kadman :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I usually get green freshly cut timber from farmers etc for woodturning.

I spend a day or two planking --- a day or two rough turning and I leave the bowl blanks in their shavings for a few weeks to stop excess drying.

I clean them off and check for splits - and add glue to the splits if necessary.
    Then I just through them into a pile for months.

When I need a bowl (4/5 weeks in advance) I take one and put it in my kiln ---ie - a box with two 80 watt bulbs and two microwave fans and alternate the heat and air-flow for about a week - then they come into the house for a few weeks before final turning and finishing.

Works for me with only about 10% waste.

Karl

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Did you ever try using a standard household dehumidifier.

Lay polythene on the ground, place a dehumidifier in the middle, and build your stack around it, then seal the polythene over the entire stack.

Then run the dehumidifier , for 4-6 weeks , emptying it of water every two or three days. I found that to be a good cheap solution. Until I loaned my dehumidifier to someone, and got it back damaged...AAArrghh.. :eek:

kadman :)

Advertisement