Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone like Bloc Party?

• 21-03-2005 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't like the album at first.. but really starting to grow on me now.

Definantly a couple of classics on it!

The only poor song on it, in my opinion, is 'Positive Tension'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Banquet's my fav.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I quite like the album.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I love their album , the next big thing me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

don't know WHAT you're talking about, positive tension is one of the best tracks on it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

At the risk of being shouted at, they're a bit overrated. They're not bad at all, don't get me wrong. But all the hype doesn't hold up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Definintely one of the best albums that ive bought this year...

It did take a few plays to be honest, but there is some genius stuff on that album.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Been listening to all their material for a few months and im still not tired of it... id say 'positive tension' is my favourite of all their stuff... oh and 'always new depths'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I think the album is pretty damn good no classic but damn good al the same

great live too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

they suck

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The lyrics are too idiotic to bare listening to. I dont like the guys voice either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I think they're pretty damn good but i can see them going the way of franz ferdinand and the killers as far as radio play goes(i.e. in a few months time we'll be hearing the likes of banquet 10 times a day on the radio). Still though a very nice debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Not sure on the album but I love Helicopter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

they'll be around for a while. really like the album but much better live IMO. Whelans gig was short but fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

2+2=5 wrote:
    they suck
    Very inciteful. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Sleepy wrote:
    Very inciteful. :rolleyes:
    teh punnage!

i hope that was intenitonal

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Was wondering would anyone get it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Their ok. Their definitely overated-absolutely nothing special about the album at all, I do like Helicopers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Silent Alarm is an absolutely superb debut despite that it doesn't have 'Little Thoughts' on it and the last few songs run out of steam. I love that record and would recommend it to anyone who likes their singles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bstatic

Bloc Party rock, I only got the album about a month ago and its all i've been listening to mostly.
    Then I heard their ep and that was excellent, and "little thoughts" is a fine song (anyone hear the b-side to little thoughts? It's fantastic).
    They have so many good songs.
    In my opinion they blow franz ferdinand and the killers right out of the water.
    There are tracks on the second half of the killers album that bore me after a while.
    And apart from the singles franz ferdinand don't really do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 maherw2

I love the album.Have listened to little else since i got it.I don't understand why people compare them to Franz Ferdinand.Bloc Party are far better imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I should go listen to it again but from what I heard on my initial listening(I downloaded it weeks ago) it was nothing special and was pretty similar to the other popular indie bands out there right now(which I can't stand).

----

Ok I just listened to Helicopter and Banquet and it pretty much confirms what I said above, I don't like the guys voice, he sounds like he wants to be the singer from the Pixies but you can hear his annoying English accent and the songs are way too relient on drum beats which make it almost sound like a dance music tune...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Their ok. Their definitely overated-absolutely nothing special about the album at all, I do like Helicopers though.
    sums them up for me too.

for god sake like silent alarm was hyped about 3-4 months before it came out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Overrated, overplayed, overhyped.... whatever they get labelled, it's a pretty cool album to listen to. I personally think it's fantastic. Disappointed I'll be missing them at Oxegen this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Overproduced certainly, bringing the good oul British pop edge into rock music again. Clinging on to kitsch, borrowing from everyone, but turning out probably one of the most listenable rock albums in the last 5 years.

Nothing new, here, well maybe the token black singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Have to say I'm very impressed with the E.P. Haven't got the album yet, but I heard helicopter (I think) on TV and was mucho impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I don't care much for that new single they have (the slow one), but I love Helicopter and especially Banquet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 djpk

I think they are amazing personally, i read a really good article on them in a magazine called "mongrol" don't worry i don't work for them or anything but the magazine was very entertaining. anyway it was saying how the media "prematurely ejaculated" about them, completely over-hyping them, still they did deserve some of the hype as they are quite brilliant. things i guess can only get better for bloc party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

the media is always going to need a darling, and at least it's a talented band at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭wrafter

I don't hear anything I like, folks. Saw them in Whelans, I seemed to be the only one not loving them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement