Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jasc / Adobe ?

Options
  • 21-03-2005 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Im currently using jasc paintshop pro 7 and i am very comfortable with it and know it well. But I am aware that most people would regard photoshop as far superior. It is also available to me. Is it worth the hastle involved to change from my jasc to adobe or is it pointless?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'd say it's worth it. Photoshop is the dogs bollox, tbh. Don't think anything else comes close.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm in the same boat Citizen_Erased, very comfortable with the PSPs, but I've been slowly learning Photoshop over the last couple of months due to the ridiculous quantity of tutorials available online.
    So far it's been very easy to learn things that just aren't possible to do in PSP without great effort.

I'd say go for it, nothing to lose, skills to gain. I'm currently going through www.good-tutorials.com and www.pixel2life.com for the Photoshop tutorials. Great resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Thats all i really needed, cheers

Hmm I seem to have a problem with adobe, i have tried 3 tutorials so far and not a single one has actually worked after several attempts???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I use PSP7 aswell, although I have both.

• Advertisement

psp seems 1000 times more user friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i started off with psp7 aswell, and once i tried photoshop i never looked back, you should try the gimp aswell, opensource equivalent to photoshop and its damned near as good

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hmm I seem to have a problem with adobe, i have tried 3 tutorials so far and not a single one has actually worked after several attempts???
    Try this one: http://www.good-tutorials.com/track/1499

That was the first tutorial I tried and completed with relative ease.
    The user interface is very different though and parts of it seem somewhat badly developed, but I can hardly argue with the majority of graphic designers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I use both of them. I prefer the text tool in photoshop, however some of the adjustments in paintshoppro(ie Channel Mixer), I find are better. And also the 2 programs sometimes do similar things slightly different. For example, I equalized the same photograph in both PSP and PS and got marginally different results.
    Paintshoppro is also cool because of the browse function, and it loads far quicker, but I prefer the drawing tools in photoshop, and I find it more friendly to use. Although that may be just because I tend to use photoshop more heavily. (Not necessarily more, just usually when I'm spending a couple hours on a picture it's normally in photoshop)

Did that tut, CuLT and got his ... my first true adobe image
    gel.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

I use both of them. I prefer the text tool in photoshop, however some of the adjustments in paintshoppro(ie Channel Mixer), I find are better. And also the 2 programs sometimes do similar things slightly different. For example, I equalized the same photograph in both PSP and PS and got marginally different results.
    Paintshoppro is also cool because of the browse function, and it loads far quicker, but I prefer the drawing tools in photoshop, and I find it more friendly to use. Although that may be just because I tend to use photoshop more heavily. (Not necessarily more, just usually when I'm spending a couple hours on a picture it's normally in photoshop)

Photoshop CS has the browse function. Is it the same? Also, photoshop has a Channel Mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm not familiar with photoshop CS, but photoshop 6 doesn't appear to have a browse fuction... although I may have missed it as I did the channel mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

adobe is definitely the better program. Switching over will be worth the hassle in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

CuLT wrote:

i love that site, it does exactly what it says on the tin. :)
    the tutorials are well upto date.

Advertisement