Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP:Vrunning ASP on a PWS -win98???

Options
  • 18-07-2001 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hi,

would anybody be able to help me...

i installed the microsoft personal webserver that is in the add-ons of the windows 98 cd.

but to be able to test my ASP pages do i need
    to install IIS aswell for it to work,
    and can i only install IIS if i was running
    windows2000?

anybody got any ideas of whether i should try a different webserver like APACHE or whatever...?

cheers... mcik

..*m©ik

[] [] [] []
    [] [] [] []
    [] [] ©® []
    [] [] [] []

..touch me i'm si©k...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

I'm using pws and win 98 with no problems,
    Also my ASP is working fine,
    I actually downloaded dreamweaver ultraDev. There is a fairly good tutorial in it to make sure you set everthing up right, From installing pws to setting you database connections....Nice small download of 29meg if I remember corectly....
    Good Luck

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

How to install PWS and run ASP on Windows 98
    • Open the Add-ons folder on your Windows98 CD, find the PWS folder and run the setup.exe file.
    • An Inetpub folder will be created on your harddrive. Open it and find the wwwroot folder.
    • Create a new folder, like "MyWeb", under wwwroot.
    • Use a text editor to write some ASP code, save the file as "test1.asp" in the "MyWeb" folder.
    • Make sure your Web server is running.
    • Open your browser and type in "http://localhost/MyWeb/test1.asp", to view your first ASP page.

Hope that helps

RentZ

[This message has been edited by Renton (edited 18-07-2001).]

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Yeah PWS comes with win98 but win2k comes with IIS (which is the meatier version of PWS).
    As far as I remember, it isn't actually installed by default either in win2k -- just go into control panel, add/remove programs, windows setup tab and it should be an option in there (Internet Information Services)... cant be sure exactly cause I'm on win98 here...
    ...or something­™

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

What Licksy said is correct. In Win2K's Control Panel, go to Add/Remove Programs, click the Add/Remove Windows Components tab button, wait a bit while it loads, and make sure theres a tick next to Internet Information Services (IIS) (plus anything else that might take your fancy), click Next - and continue with the installation (probably will be asked for your Win2K CDROM).

Windows 98's PWS sucks for proper control over ASP applications. You were right to upgrade to 2000 and IIS... saves you hassle in the long run.

Bard
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 whooliO

thanks bard and licksy...

yup it was installed by default... but lots of components like

networking services
    'n
    management and monitoring tools
    weren't

...thanks for the help

..*m©ik

[] [] [] []
    [] [] [] []
    [] [] ©® []
    [] [] [] []

..touch me i'm si©k...?

• Advertisement

.... hummm...

i was happy till i realised that my modem
    3Com/Megahertz 3CCM656 wont work with windows 2000!

what a pain in the **** ..

a new modem or a different OS????

..*m©ik

[] [] [] []
    [] [] [] []
    [] [] ©® []
    [] [] [] []

..touch me i'm si©k...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

A hell of a lot of things require newer drivers in Windows2000 - I'd stick with Win2K and phone 3COM or check their website for updated driver files if I were you.

Bard
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

i think 3com and us Robotics were the one company and they split up or sth...

anyhow.. would you believe.. the model i have is the only one that doesn't support win2000 ...the upgraded version of it does however...the 756 or whatever...

i think a new modem is the only solution... thanks for the help though...

thanks guys,

followed your instructions but got pi**ed off with it... so i upgraded to windows2000 which 'aparently' has a PWS installed automatically, now all i have to do is figure it out....

cheers...

..*m©ik

[] [] [] []
    [] [] [] []
    [] [] ©® []
    [] [] [] []

..touch me i'm si©k...?

Advertisement