Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning laptop screens?

Options
  • 21-03-2005 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭

My pride and joy is beginning to look a little grubby, but i'm too wary to get out the marigolds and give it a scrub. It may not be that fragile a beast, but i still treat it with cotton wool care.

So, what's the best way to safely clean a laptop LCD screen? And, the rest of the laptop while i'm at it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

i would be interested in answes here also.

i clean my screen with bog roll and aftershave and i have a feeling thats a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I use allsop clearview wipes! they do an excellent job! Defo dont think bog roll and aftershave is a good idea at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

i think aldi had screen wipes on special this week,suitable for laptops and tft's.hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Best stuff ive got so far was Stanger Monitor/filter screen cleaner in aldi.Also get one of those special cloths they have in Aldi which are great for cleaning screen with.

Its one of those fibre cloths that you can use over and over again.The screen cleaner i got a while back but knowing Aldi it will come again.But those cloths are always up there.I spray stuff onto cloth rather than spraying directly onto Lcd screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

glynf wrote:

I laughed, and sprayed coffee (yes, i am that ladylike) over the screen.

Off to aldi with me tmw, the screen really needs a clean now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Um....Windowlene? It's just glass right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Sleipnir wrote:
    Um....Windowlene? It's just glass right?
    Hope your not serious, it's not glass. And woindowlene of course has numerous chemicals in it that could damage the screen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Alot of regular screen wipes will wreck your screen as well, get TFT/Laptop specfic wipes. Thought the link above was going to be the one with the the topless girl whos chest follows you mouse around the screen cleaning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

U have to use non-alcoholic screen wipes!

A laptop screen is wire mesh not glass so any conventional cleaner can damage the screen. Allsop do non-alco wipes, u should be able to pick them up in peats or in maplins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I've had this laptop for 5 years and only ever used windolene. or vinegar & water.The screen is exactly as it was when I bought it.
    Just because the person who's selling special wipes for laptop screens says other stuff could cause damage doesn't make it so.

Also, the cover on the screen isn't wire mesh (if it is, it's a pretty fine mesh!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I love how you go into PC world or wherever and they're basically selling glorified baby wipes at 10X the price, simply cos people don't want to damage their screens (nothing wrong with that).
    Why are these things so dear, apart from blatant profiteering?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sleipnir wrote:
    I've had this laptop for 5 years and only ever used windolene. or vinegar & water.The screen is exactly as it was when I bought it.
    Just because the person who's selling special wipes for laptop screens says other stuff could cause damage doesn't make it so.

Thats grand for you but I wont be trying it. Have alook at some of the packs of screen wipes alot of them say dont use on TFT/Laptop screens, Iv heard of people staining their screens by using the wrong cleaner. Iv also seen the coating taken off Trinitron CRT's in work coz the cleaners used some spray on them. I use TFT wipes and then a soft dry cloth to make sure the wipes dont streak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

My mistake, i didn't mean a wire mesh but it is a mesh screen, the liquid crystal is sandwiched between two plates of glass. One plate has horizontal grooves in it; the other has vertical ones.

Also just because u us household cleaning fluids on a laptop screen just means that u have been lucky any harsh detergents, especially anything like Windolene or any product that contains amonia. Strong cleaning and amonia products can etch the screen surface and can cause the plastic to become cloudy or streaked.

Just us tft screen wipes and don't take the risk!! :)

Advertisement