Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buttons!

Options
  • 21-03-2005 12:55am
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

You want a button, or have one to share?
    Take one or leave one, that's why they're there!

Request/Display buttons here; seeing as there is an abundance of fora on boards that use buttons to signify membership, there may as well be a central place to get/give them.

Also, if you happen to have a (useful/informative) site that you'd like to display a button for post it here.

Example1: a button for audioscrobbler is fine, a button to freeipods.com is not.
    Example2: a button for firefox is fine, a button for gator(adware) is not.

I'll decide what's ok and what's not on a post by post basis to prevent it turning into an advertisement thread. Use the "Report this Post" feature if you think I've missed something.

Format:
    Sitename - http://url.that.the.image.points.to
    [url=url.that.the.image.points.to][img]url.of.the.image[/img][/url]

Here's a couple of mine:

Audioscrobbler - http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/CuLT
    audioscrobbler_button.gif

Eirtaku - http://www.eirtaku.com
    eirtaku_btn1.gif

There's a couple more examples built into my sig, so yes, fill the forums with images!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

hope this isn't a stupid question but how do you build the buttons into your sig....?

I'd love to do the same to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The images are broken down into different stripes, each one having a seperate url.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

As Giblet said, it's made up of four stripes:
    Sig1_1.png

Sig1_2.png

Sig1_3.png

Sig1_4.png

I just make sure it's within the dimension & kb limits so nobody needs have a fit about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

sweet, must do that

ah...that's clever. Complete lack of lateral thinking on my part

• Advertisement

O.K I made a version of cults sig with the buttons actually isolated, but the maximum number of images in a sig is 15 (I needed 17 to fully recreate cults sig)

2.png3.png4.png
    5.png
    6.png7.png8.png
    9.png
    10.png11.png12.png
    13.png
    14.png15.png16.png

here is the code: attached.

Wowzers, that is a lot of images...

Shame about the image limitation, but 15 is excessive enough as it is :)
    n1.

Actually I wonder could the number of images per post be increased for this forum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

CuLT's sig is possible with 11 images, if you slice it properly in ImageReady.

Giblet wrote:
    O.K I made a version of cults sig with the buttons actually isolated, but the maximum number of images in a sig is 15 (I needed 17 to fully recreate cults sig)

2.png3.png4.png
    5.png
    6.png7.png8.png
    9.png
    10.png11.png12.png
    13.png
    14.png15.png16.png

here is the code: attached.

that's pretty cool.

i'll have to try that next...have buttoned my sig now kinda. I'm very clumsy in photoshop...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

sigme4.jpgsigme2.jpg
    sigme5.jpgbutton.jpg
    sigme6.jpgsigme3.jpg

Bingo there we go .... new sig.... button picked up some noise on the way though.....hmmm.... might be to large....could get blocked...

The button can be put up for download if u want it - the downloadable one wont be distorted/noisey though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

cool thread, never noticed that about cults sig before, i must have a crack at doing something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

modular wrote:
    CuLT's sig is possible with 11 images, if you slice it properly in ImageReady.

not using just a sequence of img tags though i don't think

Imagemaps would be cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

wow. I haven't been on boards in ages. Good to see photoshoppage is still going well.

Any excuse to draw attention to my sig button, which at the time was the most awesome thing i ever coded. (I know, I sucked, learnt so much since then.)

It parses the RSS feed from my site and then uses php to auto generate the PNG file with the latest posts populated.

Actually incredibly similar to those really annoying 'you are running windows xp...' things, but i hope people don't take as much offense to the tcal button.

Cults buttons are cool.

Edit: I only scanned the original post, and misread the purpose of this thread. I guess you could say it's ok to have a button for tcal..but delete this post if its not in keeping with the gist of the thread. brain not working.

Yeah, I think the thread has far, far derailed from what I intended, but who cares, this is more interesting.

I'd love it if you let us know how you did that dangerman, I like it a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

bad instructions on how it was done here:

http://tcal.net/archives/2004/10/24/tcal-rss-super-button-tutorial/

that code could be tidied and made better i've no doubt, it was one of the first things i did when starting to get back into coding. + you can see it's just two guys seperate code hacked together.

Advertisement