Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we so narrow minded?

Options
  • 21-03-2005 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

i hate classing music into different genres. I find that most people who like greenday for example, like the typical punk rock bands like blink 182, the used, bad religion, simple plan, new found glory, offspring
    i d love to met someone who could love greenday, nirvana pixies alice in chains biffy clyro sex pistols,
    ive yet to meet a person who will vary their music loves, a person who isnt afraid to bop to greenday, to sing alice coopers poison, to be a teenypopper at times and yet go mental in a mosh pit
    everything is divided into little narrow minded groups, sadly
    and even the "outsiders" are just grunged/punked up typical teenagers sometimes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't think most people who are seriously into music are that narrow minded. Personally I'll listen to anything (and I mean anything) and looking at most of these music forums a lot of people use more than one. Having it divided into genres makes it easier for people to find what they're looking for, it doesn't mean they have to stick to one genre (although I admit there are those who will only listen to certain types of music but so what if it's what they like).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

There's a certain type of music that just does it for me. Loud, fast, aggressive and it's got to have guitars and lots of distortion. :) That's the kind of music that makes me feel good and that's what music is all about right? That's why I don't listen to rap or techno or singer/songwriter crap. I listen to what I like. If that makes me narrow-minded well I don't care.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

What he said^^ That and I hate everyone else and their music plane sucks because of their FACE!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

d love to met someone who could love greenday, nirvana pixies alice in chains biffy clyro sex pistols,

im sure plenty of people like greenday, nirvana, pixies and the sex pistols, I do, and the others you mentioned I just haven't heard.

Karmand wrote:
    a person who isnt afraid to bop to greenday, to sing alice coopers poison, to be a teenypopper at times and yet go mental in a mosh pit

don't you think the type of person who likes to go mental in a moshpit just doesn't feel like "being a teenyboppper"

I'm glad you have nothing more important to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

dregin wrote:
    What he said^^ That and I hate everyone else and their music plane sucks because of their FACE!
    Brilliant.

Me? I listen to most types of punk, from pop to hardcore.
    I also travelled to England last year to see 70 year old Folk Rock sensation Al Stewart.

Click the link in my sig. Belle And Sebastian, The Clash, NOFX, Al Stewart, The Vandals, Snow Patrol, Death Cab For Cutie, Operation Ivy etc...

Its very varied, and I certainly don't limit myself to punk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

I can honestly say the only form of music that does nothing for me is RAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I also travelled to England last year to see 70 year old Folk Rock sensation Al Stewart.
    And I went with him!

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/romaaan/ tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I am MAN wrote:

You're just listening to the wrong rap, get some NWA and Ultramagnetic MC's into you, STAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I am MAN wrote:

with a capital c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    But now they're all playin' Bang Bang
    and it's gone to bleedin' far...

lol :D . sig of the year so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Karmand

"don't you think the type of person who likes to go mental in a moshpit just doesn't feel like "being a teenyboppper""

I think a lot of those people are afraid of losing their reputation as a "mosher" and will critisise anyone whos not, so Im saying Whats wrong with being a teenybopper at times?

"I'm glad you have nothing more important to complain about."[/QUOTE]

Mmm lovely condesending remark, thank you so very much.
    I dont believe in baring all my life history to people who dont know me or dont care!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Karmand wrote:
    "don't you think the type of person who likes to go mental in a moshpit just doesn't feel like "being a teenyboppper""

I think a lot of those people are afraid of losing their reputation as a "mosher" and will critisise anyone whos not, so Im saying Whats wrong with being a teenybopper at times?

Heh what concerts have you been to? I think they're happy moshing to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Um... I don't know where you're getting your information but most people who are actually serious about liking music can appreciate anything. For your information, by the end of this year, I'll have seen Green Day, Weezer, Slayer and Iron Maiden, at least. Oh, and I like all of the bands you posted, and by the way, there isn't as much variety among them as you might think. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shivface

Karmand wrote:
    i d love to met someone who could love greenday, nirvana pixies alice in chains biffy clyro sex pistols,
    greenday - pop punk (whatever the right ****in phrase is for that type of music)
    nirvana - influenced by pixies and punk
    pixies - dunno, i reckon theres some punk influence there dont you?
    alice in chains - grunge - progression of punk imo
    biffy clyro - dunno
    sex pistols - punk

i agree, wheres the variety ther?
    go listen to jurassic 5, fiona apple, tchaikovsy, prodigy, miles davis, the temptations and elvis costello, then come back to me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

also, the mountain goats, the decemberists, cathy davey, the mahavishnu orchestra, explosions in the sky and leonard cohen.

Then come back to him..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

the real point of the poster is that theres now 13 different forums under music, and gawd help the fool that posts about any band in the wrong forum. where do i post about the sisters of mercy? like theres no goth forum... :) (cue list of posters stating they ain't goth they're neo-pseudo post punk speed pop or some other ****e)

i'll listen to anything once, theres a fierce amount of crap music but theres always gems in each category. i dislike all the pigeon hole(ing), its either good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Karmand wrote:
    punk rock bands like .. the used
    The Used are my favourite band and I f*cking love them and their music, but are they punk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Karmand

go listen to jurassic 5, fiona apple, tchaikovsy, prodigy, miles davis, the temptations and elvis costello, then come back to me[/QUOTE]

And you can see no punk elements whatsoever in any of the above music?

I'm glad to see that people are interested in this topic. I was merely saying that people do pigeonhole music, and punk is classed often as just greenday, sex pistols, clash, offspring, nofx etc. and a lot of people arent open minded to other genres and bands. I'm not saying everyone is, I'm just saying some are. I know theres irony because my topic said"Why are we so narrowminded?" as if everybody is,which obviously they are not.
    The question was to just grab attention, which obviously it did.
    Thanx for posting, I'm always open to other people's opinions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭drummer 666

I love all kinds of music, jazz, metal, heavy metal, punk, pop punk, the odd hip hop, punk-metal, what ever I listen to I love and if theres anything new I'll get a likin to it...but I HATE DANCE!!! ITS ****E!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I used to think that but some dance is good. I'm mainly a punk and metal fan but i will listen to anything (ish) and if i like it i will admit it.

• Advertisement

yeah exactly, whats the point in hiding what you love and what your music taste is?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I love all kinds of music, jazz, metal, heavy metal, punk, pop punk, the odd hip hop, punk-metal, what ever I listen to I love and if theres anything new I'll get a likin to it...but I HATE DANCE!!! ITS ****E!
    i have a feeling this was directed at me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I like... a lot of different genres. Infected Mushroom, Mogwai, Children of Bodom, Aqua, The Used (since someone mentioned them and they rule), Biffy Clyro (also for same reason), Le Tigre, The Postal Service, Alkaline Trio, Jack off Jill, Taking Back Sunday, Flogging Molly, Amanda Rogers, The Smiths, Muse.. okay the list continues for quite a while, but you get idea.

However I like genres. They're useful to find music similar to music you already know, and the like. And to be able to group your music if you're in particular moods, etcetera. It's only when people start being eejits about it that they become annoying, and then, it's just really the people in question who are annoying.

i have a feeling this was directed at me.....

no..I posted this before you mentioned Wes

Advertisement