Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

welcome all and don't be shy ...where all here to help each other

Options
  • 20-03-2005 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭

well about time .......now we have some help for all the guys and girls out there that have probs with there laptop ....and to be honest its mainly thanks to nukem who keep pushing and pushing for this sub forum ....congrats not only to him but to all of those who have unanwsered questions with problems with there laptops and those out there that are just curious about how to get the most out of the moblie pc's
    so all you people out there that have any interest in laptops don't be shy just ask thats what this very useful forum is for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

dubdvd you made a lot of very good points while we were all fighting to get this forum! Its only about time we got it! Are going to help mod this fourm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dr.Pain

ok thanks will do can you help me with buying a laptop
    I have come across this laptop
    http://www.jes-computer.de/product_info.php?pID=19467
    and it appears to be everything that I could possibly want in a laptop,
    it has a battery life of 4.5 hours btw which it doesnt say on that page.
    Can anyone see anything wrong or missing from this laptop before I buy it
    ( I am not worried about the german keyboard or ordering form Germany)

I also am interested in these two laptops
    http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/index.php/notebooks/toshiba/sat_m30xreihe
    http://www.gericom.de/index.php?id=77&backPID=77&tt_products=55

Which would you reccommend
    I also have two Q's
    Is there a big difference between
    a a 128mb and 256mb graphics chip
    and a 1.6 or 1.7 or 1.8 centrino processor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

well tbh with you it all depends on what you want your laptop to do ???? if you want it as a replacement for your desktop "which will have less battery power normally " or if you want it for gaming " if its for gaming i'd go for the new 915 chipset which comes with this one that you picked ....because as far as i now its not a half bad GPU ....plus alot of the new GPU'S can be up-graded which is fairly new to laptops ...so if you think that this one isnt pulling its weight you can up-grade to the 6800 or even the ati ...So if you give us some more info on what the main purpose of use
    This is something that works across the board with desktops aswell ...there is ...there's no point in buying something that sounds and costs an arm and a leg , if all your going to do is surf the web on it...so firstly decide on what you intend on using the laptop for first ????????
    so what have you got in mind....????

I want it for games dvd's internet college next year(B.I.S. in UCC or m.S.I.S.S in TCd), I want a good powerful yet portable machine for under €1500
    I also want it to be wireless ready
    I would like one that won't date too quickly If that's possible

What is that new intel 915pm chipset?
    How is it better to the other ones

Are You sure that that 128mb graphics chip is better then te 256mb one on the cebop model?

[/QUOTE]
    I also have two Q's
    Is there a big difference between
    a a 128mb and 256mb graphics chip
    and a 1.6 or 1.7 or 1.8 centrino processor[/QUOTE]

this is something that depends on the card you have for an example you can have a go 6600 and a go 6800 "which are both nvidea laptop gpu's "you may have a 256mb GO6600 but if you put it up against a 128mb go 6800 it wont be as powerful ...the only real time it will make a difference is when your dealing with a card "a single card for example "
    a 128mb GO6600 will not really have as much push as a 256mb model ...
    but you must also take a good look at the type of GPU memory ??? the latest is DDR3 so against the older gpu ddr it wont have the same clout

• Advertisement

ok thanks for that I will buy the Gericom so!

aldi do this brand ,but if i was you ...i'd buy from there site ....and remember the keyboard will differ just slightly from the standard .....
    but if i was you , use google to get some feedback about the product you plan to buy .....and remember any advice given on any forum is not gospel ...even on boards we are all only human ...but will try help the best we can ...so google is always a handy back up tool ...i hpoe it all works out well for you ...
    Dont forget to come back and let us know how it goes for you , and share your experince with the rest of the the guys , in case any body eles is planning on buying the same laptop....

Hope everything goes well for you .....

Ok thanks a million for all your help but they dont appear to deliver to Ireland at least i couldnt get them to from
    www.gericom.de

Here is something that might help you in your quest for the best gaming laptop to get ...its form tomshardware.com and gives a good review of the different high level laptop GPU'S out there ...it's a good read
    But always keep in mind that sites like this rely mainly on sponsorship so sometimes the results can depend on who's giving them what ?????
    but in general they are a good yardstick to choose from

ill google about and see if there is anyway of getting one of these shipped to Ireland or a reseller in Ireland or England for you ????

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

There some damn tasty links there Dubbiggrin.gif
    Would like to see a similar link on the CPU situation,its a bloody maze some times with the CPU's and Chipsets. Anyone seen one?

Off nukems goes googling................................(whistling)

• Advertisement

yeah I just got more specs from this site
    http://www.pcwelt.de/defaults/drucken.cfm?pid=21&pk=107918
    according to that it was on sale in ALDI for 1299
    yet is 1349 from gericom website,
    It does come from windows xp home
    I will buy it from gericom website, yet they don't appear to deliver to Ireland( didnt return my email on subj yet) Luckily my sis is there on RASMUS so will get it sent to her.
    I am presuming that this would be cheaper then waiting for it to come to ALDI here, do you agree?

Advertisement