Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone got a pistol cert in the last two months

Options
  • 19-03-2005 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hello All,
    I have been lurking on this forum for about four months now and decided to show my face.

I sent in my application for a pistol licence five weeks ago,received a letter from the Superintendant saying the matter was receiving attention and he would get back to me when a decision was made,I'm just wondering has anyone else been issued a pistol cert in the last two months or am I going to be put on the long finger until the DOJ comes up with some new hoops or a whole new game .

Regards,
    Dvs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Another lurker in here that I know was issued with his air pistol licence a fortnight or so ago Dvs, and just got the air pistol there this past week. So they are still being issued, but the more innocuous the pistol, it would seem, the faster it gets processed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Thank you for your response Sparks.

Regards,
    Dvs.

The air pistol in question. I wonder if this is the first new ISSF air pistol to be licenced in Ireland since '72?

DSCF1991.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Hi Dvs and welcome,

Five weeks aint a long time to wait......it took 10 weks for my rifle license and that wasn't for anything excotic (22lr!!!).......My pistol application is in about 8 weeks at the moment...that being said.....it's a a local station and has to go to the district office etc. etc. etc......then there is the whole queries end of it..... I've been told it might come back a couple of times for more details..... and thats with a VERY comprehensive attachment to my license explaining in detail my shooting history....personal details and everything else that could possibly be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭.270 remington

hi
    it all depends on your local super
    from start to finish with my application that includes doj import cert with pistol in hand was 5 months

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭2112

Hello DVs
    I bought my pistol in August and picked it up in January. It was worth the wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Longslide45

On average it can take up to six months somtimes for liscenses to be issued here.Depending on work load in your local Garda station.They might leave it until July31st and issue it in the annual Garda waste of time AKA gun liscense reissue month.I applied for mine in Jan,sofar it has come back three times for clarification.Last one was for a technical manual on the gun.A copy of Janes guns wouldnt go amiss with the Garda.Or a link to www.securityarms.com either. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Aid the Blade

are we talkin propper pistols ie firearms or just air pistols

Both air and cartridge pistols are regarded as firearms under Irish law Aid, there's no legal difference drawn between them.

so does that mean that a revolver/semi auto can be acquired legally with a licence

• Advertisement

Yes. At the moment some of the finer details of red tape are still being trashed out so people buying them at the moment are having to resort to less-used methods for importing them (ie. actually going abroad themselves with their licence and bringing them back themselves rather than having them sent here by post), but yes, they're legal if you have a licence.

can any1 go thru the steps involved in acquiring one or send me in the right direction.im 23 wit a 22 semiauo rifle already & livin out the country wit bou 200+ acres to shoot over.will this help me in the license application

Advertisement