Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to access certain sites with IOLBB+. Is it just me?

Options
  • 19-03-2005 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

I can't access a few sites I've been trying to get to for some reason, is it just me or are others having the same trouble?

some that come to mind off the top of my head are:

www.open24.ie
    www.luas.ie

can someone else on IOLBB+ try these two sites and let me know if they work?

I've tried IE, Firefox & Opera, and it's not making a difference.

tried on 2 different PC's and still the same.

Both sites are okay from work, so I don't know what it is. I just keep getting a 404 every time I try.

I can't even ping them, although it is telling me what IP address they are when I ping, so something is getting through.

tried a traceroute, and it looks like it's not even getting out of my LAN, but I cant see any settings on my router that might be blocking them. any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Just you, im using firefox on iolbb and they're fine.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Check your IP address (given by IOL).

If it ends: .0 then that is your problem. .0 is an IP that your are not meant to have but it sometimes happens, for some reason. I've had it in the past. It will cause a fair number of websites to just not work. Switch off your modem or pull the telephone cable. Give it a few minutes at least. Plug back in, check IP and if it's not changed erpeate (and wait longer). Other option is to pick a random IOL IP and force your modem to use it. Setting it back to dynamic after this got me a new IP anyhow.

If that's not the problem then I know know what it is. Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If you're using Windows XP do the following and see if it helps.

Start>Run>regsvr32 softpub.dll>OK>OK

Restart and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

???

ip addresses ending in 0 (other than the network and broadcast addresses) shouldn't cause any problems. 213.202.134.67 for example is advertised to routers on the internet as netblock 213.202.128.0/18.

Perhaps you're thinking of /24 netblocks at 192.168.X.X typically used in LANs where the 0 address is always a network address?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

halenger wrote:
    Check your IP address (given by IOL).

If it ends: .0 then that is your problem. .0 is an IP that your are not meant to have but it sometimes happens, for some reason. I've had it in the past. It will cause a fair number of websites to just not work. Switch off your modem or pull the telephone cable. Give it a few minutes at least. Plug back in, check IP and if it's not changed erpeate (and wait longer). Other option is to pick a random IOL IP and force your modem to use it. Setting it back to dynamic after this got me a new IP anyhow.

If that's not the problem then I know know what it is. Hope it helps.

You got there before me !!! I had exactly this problem aboyt 6 months ago, I posted here somewhere about it at the time. Resetting my router renewed my DHCP lease and cured the problem. There were actually quite a number of sites that gave 404's. For some reason best known to them IOL give out addresses ending with .0.

ZEN

• Advertisement

Snowbat wrote:
    ???

ip addresses ending in 0 (other than the network and broadcast addresses) shouldn't cause any problems. 213.202.134.67 for example is advertised to routers on the internet as netblock 213.202.128.0/18.

Perhaps you're thinking of /24 netblocks at 192.168.X.X typically used in LANs where the 0 address is always a network address?

.0 and .255 are reserved on all subnets, no?

It is the problem though. That's for sure. It's fairly well documented on the boards as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

funnily enough, that's not actually it.

my ip address ends in .1xx

any other suggestions?

don't want to reboot the modem just yet though as I'm over my cap.

They know you're over your cap regardless of rebooting. It's on their system. I'd reboot personally...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

out of interest, open up a dos prompt and type 'nslookup www.open24.ie' (or whatever site is problematic) and see what comes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What router are you using? Are they both secure sites? Don't have time to check right now but I'm assuming the banking one is.

Can you go into your router config, and change the MTU to 1400. I can't say where to change this as I'm not sure what router you are using but scour your config page until you see it. Apply it and let me know how it goes..

• Advertisement
Advertisement