Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tape & Joint or Skim???

Options
  • 19-03-2005 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

New Build, TF Kit.
    Comments welcome, based on current rates and
    finishes available.....

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

YAPP wrote:
    New Build, TF Kit.
    Comments welcome, based on current rates and
    finishes available.....

Personally I would go for skim. You do get a better surface finish, and its more impact resistant than tape and joint.

I dont see any advantage of tape and joint over skim. Each requires similar work processes, only skimming requires more skill in trowelling off to give a good polished harder surface. Tape and jointed finish is softer than a skimmed finish , and as such would be more prone to surface indentation.

Hope this helps , who knows kadman might even be right again. :D:D:D

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YAPP

Cost of labour to slab, and then skim to a perfect finish
    v's
    cost of labour to slab and then tape & joint to a perfect finish.

So far quotes are cheaper to skim, but drying out time is a factor too, hoping to move in soon and not too keen on moisture content in house at pre 2nd fix stage. Might have no choice yet.... Delta E3000 biggy!

Yapp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Yapp,

Many will have guessed by now I don't worry about the initial oulay :)

Passed experience has taught me the best finish is to skim the walls and ceilings.

You can put any decorative finish you like on the skim finish and change it as fashion or personal taste dictates but to depend on the paper of the plaster board to allow changes is asking a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah skim is the only way to go as far as wanting a good finish.Also if you can better to screw with those special black screws that dont rust.There made for that type of job.Less popping with screws than just tack nails.

Or on occasion ive seen those special nails with a type of plastic washer around them used on plasterboards prior to skimming.Dont know the name of them off hand.

thanks Mad M,

Yes, 38mm screws @ 400mm c/c. good job, no popping.

Nearly slabbed now, but need to line up follow on trade for deffo..

YAPP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Kadman,

We is of the same mind again :)

Yapp,

The drying out time for skim coat is not much more than taping the joints especially this time of the year.

If the prices are right for skimming I think an extra week will be well worth it, can you imagine how terrible you could feel in the future when you discover Kadman was right ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Well looking as were coming into the drier weather skim will dry that faster.Couple of mates of mine couple years back skimmed a three bed for me in a whole weekend.Mine you the plasterboard was up and i put screed tape on and i done the mxing for them.Dried in under a week.

Taping can be faster i suppose but it depends on the type of finish you want.If wallpapering over plasterboard unless (slurried in as what a plaster said to me one time) Think he meant they sort of seal it with an overall coat of something but many dont do it on sites these days.Wallpaper can be a pig to strip of plasterboard if not properly primed.

Thanks Pete,

Heavens forbid!!!

LOL

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Kadman,

We is of the same mind again :)

Yapp,

The drying out time for skim coat is not much more than taping the joints especially this time of the year.

If the prices are right for skimming I think an extra week will be well worth it, can you imagine how terrible you could feel in the future when you discover Kadman was right ? :D

Hi Rooferpete,

Yep , the right information is always right, no matter who repeats it :D

Hi Yapp,

Yeah it 's scary isn't it , even Rooferpete thinks kadmans right...AARRghhhh

Well the Rolling Stones were happy with my work...what else matters :D

Kadman :)

wOOO,

SHOWING YOUR AGE MATE!

LOL

• Advertisement
Advertisement