Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit Torrent NAT Problem

Options
  • 18-03-2005 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

hey, got bit torrent last night and ive been downloading on it since but my download speeds really bad, my smileyt face is always yellow and when i test the ports 6881-6999 it always says NAT error, ive opened the ports on my firewall and ive forwarded the ports on my modem, what else do i need to do to get a green smiley face?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

***using azureus by the way***

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

turn off any anti spyware, anti virus's and software firewalls...

and if you still have problems turn on the UPnP plugin in azureus and again in windows xp (if that what youre using)

hmm theres not much luck there either, and now most of the torrents i start all just time out when they try to connect how annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Did u let it threw your firewall? What anti virus software do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Maybe you just got **** torrents? Got many seeds? or downloaders?

• Advertisement

i suppose it is all down to crap torrents and not enough seeds, but it would be nice to have a green smiley face, o i dont have antivirus software and my firewall allows everything bit torrenty and all the ports 6881-6999 are open so i dunno whats up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

In Azureus, there's a way to see who you are connected to. If all the IPs have L beside them, that's bad. That means the connection between you and that computer wa started by you (ie a local connection), however if there are any R's, then you're grand. That means the connection was opened on the other side (a remote connection).

The reason this is important is because bram made it so that bit torrent would send you more stuff if you uploaded stuff.More upload = faster download. Occasionally other people will try to download off you. (ie they try to open a remote connection (well it's remote to you)), if they succede and they start downloading, the tracker knows your sharing. NAT/Firewall issues can prevent people from downloading off you, so the tracker thinks you're being stingy by not uploading, so you can't download as fast.
    ive opened the ports on my firewall and ive forwarded the ports on my modem
    There is nothing more one can do. If one did this correctly one shouldn;t have this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

6881-6999 ????

thats over 100 ports, azureus only uses one.
    are you sure theyre forwarded to the correct internal ip?

em, crap they all have L's beside them what do i do to fix it man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Which tracker are you using. Some trackers have now switched port ranges to avoid ISP's throttling ports known for P2P. elitetorrents for example uses a range from 49152 to 65535. I've often had the same problem as you're now experiencing when getting a torrent using different port ranges.

• Advertisement

whats a tracker again? is it the place you download from? how do i found out the info of the tracker?

kk found out my tracker.. its http://tracker2.torrentbox.com:2710/*****... (i blocked the tracker, shouldn't i have?) anyways is the 2710 the port number that it uses? i unblocked it on my firewall and fowarded the ports and still no change...

M O T H E R F U C K I N G K I C K A S S i cracked it, i enabled uPnP on my modem and it did all the work for me now ive got the happiest little green smiley face and a fast connection speed !! yay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

my PC is behind a DI-604 router connected to NTL broadband... i use Azureus and change the listen port to sthing like 49999... i don't do port forwarding but instead have the port triggering function for port 49999 (UDP)... it works alrite and most my torrent dloads keep getting a green face... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I have UPnP enabled on my modem but i keep getting
    Error - UPNP:Mapping 'UDP tracker client port (UDP/49999)' has been reserved by '192.168.1.1' - please select a different port...

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Sorted it, opened the ports (for tcp and udp) 6881-6889...
    Disabled UPNP...
    Bobs your ma's sisters budgie...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

steoob wrote:
    ports 6881-6999
    Ensure the ports your using aren't blacklisted by your ISP!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

hey folks i know theres been a million posts like this but another useless broadband user who just can't work it out!:)
    im with digiweb and i know they throttle so i guess this may be the problem and theres nothing i can do but heres my set up anyway someone may suggest some revolutionary solution
    i have a satellite connection, not to sure about all this talk of routers etc, i have an network adapter obviously, plugged into a "powershot smartbridge"(is this a router? i dont think so but what is it then?) plugged into the hole in the wall presumably connected to the satellite on my roof:)
    i have all antivirus and firewalls turned off,
    i can't get green face on azureus and all the IPs have L beside than instead of R
    is it daft to hope for more than 10kbs in bittorrent (i can get about 60/70 kbps downloading from websites etc. )
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

anyone?:)

Advertisement