Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats from across the Irish Sea (OK, begrudging)

Options
  • 18-03-2005 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Well, boys, when you get down off cloud 10 (nine hardly seems enough somehow), please accept the congratulations of this Englishman on the Irish showing. As I knew would happen, you cleaned up. What's more depressing is that you took all the three big races and many of my countrymen are fearing the same next year.

Congrats in particular to Dessie Hughes, Jessie Harrington and Tom Taaffe, as only a person with the charitable instincts of Jacob Marley (who died an unrepentant miserable bastard) could deny them their moment in the sun.
    The Champion Hurdle is yours for 2006, only Arcalis and Lingo are possibles for the English next year, and both would for me be below HE and Harchibald.

Great rides, too, from Messieur Geraghty, though this particular Englishman - and having logged on to some other chat sites, quite a few more - is getting a bit sick of the man's arrogance when it comes to his horses being invincible (the comment about DEFINITELY beating Best Mate and Kingscliff, though possibly true was unwarranted...KK is good, but he's no Golden Miller or Arkle). For the sake of seeing him look miserable next year, I can only hope, out of a touch of National Pride, that KK and MF get beaten next year (hell, I'd even take victories for other Irish horses in those races). But would I be clutching at straws?

In all probability, quite possibly. Though only Az's ghost turned up in the Champion Chase, can PN get him to the start in top shape again without having doubts he'll run flat as he did here. I'm beginning to think the King George exertions finally caught up with him, especially after a hard race at Newbury (yes, WC had a hard race in the V Chandler, but Az run over 3m behind the later Gold Cup winner and was the only one to go with him). A better hope would be Kauto Star, whose missing the Arkle may prove a blessing in hindsight. For those of you over in Ireland who didn't see his Newbury stroll over Foreman et al, may I assure you he is a serious horse. A friend of mine got 33-1 for the 2006 CC just after that success and I might just have to mug him of his ticket. Some mentioned Inglis Drever, but he'll stay hurdling, and the clash between him and a hopefully rejuvinated Rhinestone Cowboy in next year's Stayers will be one to water the mouth. Wylie and Johnson have Royal Rosa to go novice chasing with. I also suppose it depends on where Mephisto and No Refuge go next year. He might have enough ammo to send ID over fences, but I doubt it.

As for the Gold Cup, for sure forget Best Mate, whould need to be the BM of 2003 to beat KK and that isn't going to happen at 11. Once a bleeder, it doesn't go away, at least very rarely. Strong Flow, Celestial Gold and co looked lost without soft ground, which is a shame as soft ground is proper jumping ground, but we have to acknowledge that all Cheltenhams from now on are going to be run on ground not suited to real National Hunt type horses. Perhaps now KK has shown how to win a Gold Cup, followers of Beef or Salmon will finally jump off the band wagon and find out he's as overrated, nay even more overrated, than Doran's Pride (who at least was a battler and a tough old bugger beloved of everyone). Of the others, Cornish Rebel will improve, but he, too, needs ground suitable for World War I battles (I'm sure he must be related to Master Oats in some distant way). Jazz d'Estruval will battle all day, but likewise needs cut. For me, only one horse could beat Kicking King, and that's Iris's Gift, the ride on whom Jonjo should immediately give to AP McCoy for next year with Messieur Geraghty committed to KK (and that is what would have happened had IG got there this year). He has some engine and, back to his best, will gallop everything into the ground, KK included. The gamble is hoping he'll be back to his hurdle form of 2003 and 2004. But I'm willing to take it. I'm told by the same friend he can get me 33-1 IG for next year's Gold Cup and I shall be placing an investment thereon.

If anything beats MF and IG beats KK and gives Geraghty a frown wider than the Irish Sea in March 2006, though I would fee sorry for the Taafes and the Harringtons, I would LOVE IT.

Anyway, last mention, ride of the week for enjoyment, Nina Carberry in the last on Tuesday. Great, and may she have more chances at future festivals against the big boys. Honourable mention to JT McNamara in the Cross Country Chase, who more than earnt his pay and, in its way, was just as superb as he had been on that quadruped mental case that was Rith Dubh.
    Just sad Jonjo couldn't get a winner, but I get the feeling he and AP are owed after their annus horribilis. Their time will be next year...I hope.

Only 362 days to Cheltenham 2006. Counting down...

Advertisement