Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 18-03-2005 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine put a 20 euro win bet on Thisthatandtother yesterday, but the guy in the office wrote it was a 2000 euro bet. My friend has not went to the bookies yet, think he can claim the monies from it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

not sure what you mean. Your friend put the bet on but didn't write the docket himself ? He got someone working in the bookies to write it for him ?

perhaps they wrote 20.00 ? Maybe you can't see the 'dot' on his copy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

The lady working there wrote the docket, she was up the walls. It says '€2k win' so there's not dots. If i was me i'd say i only put 20 on it and they made a mistake, she could loose her job..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭cullenswood

She actually wrote "2k" on it???? Claim it and say nothing! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

if it was the other way round, you bet 2k but the bookie wrote the ticket for 20 quid, do you think the bookie would do the right thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

wow - i'd find it very hard to be honest in that situation !

At Leopardstown over Christmas I lost a wad on Best Mate. In the next race I put €200 on Ground Ball at 7/4. The printed receipt had €300 on it......I kept my mouth shut and horse won! Felt a tiny bit bad - but reckoned it was ok cos the bookies satchels were overflowing after Best Mate lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

CLAIM IT!!! The bookings are making a killing on Cheltenham this year, they can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Just actually thinking about it......Is there small print at the bottom of the slip which states the time and date of the bet, they usually have the amount there aswell, so I'm sure that will have €20 written on it. Otherwise the bookies would have been accusing some poor colleague of pocketing €1980 when they did their balancing of the books at the end of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

There's no way you will be to claim 2000!
    Have a look at the bottom of the betting slip, there will be the time the bet was placed, the date and the AMOUNT!
    If it was 2,000, they wouldn't be able to agree their cash from yesterday and will be waiting to ask was it 2000 or 20 I guess.
    Mind you if it does say 2000 (I bet it doesn't), legally you will be able to claim it however depending on the bookies concerned, they would have had to get it authorised by H.O. so there might be a battle obver it.
    Firstly check the bottom of the slip, if it's stamped 2000, you might be lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yeah, the amount is on the bottom of the slip. The likes of Ladbrokes use scanners now anyway so there's no way of cheating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Aye, he went in and collected. The amount was on the bottom of the slip. Doh! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement