Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing my own plumbing???

Options
  • 18-03-2005 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

OK, so THINKING :confused: about doing my own plumbing as follows:

Geothermal & solar fitted by the experts
    UFH fitted by me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

pitstop wrote:
    OK, so THINKING :confused: about doing my own plumbing as follows:

Geothermal & solar fitted by the experts
    UFH fitted by me?

Pressed return a little TOO early :rolleyes:

So anyone know where to start - recommend any good books (if I can get a fairly comprehensive non-technical :D:confused: books - I'll manage with just that!).

Deadwork has started - 5 weeks early - yippee!! - so need to get a move on..

Appreciate any help - don't really want to pay huge sums of money for something I can probably do!.

Thanks

Pitstop

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"UFH fitted by me?"

Doing it myself, PM me your email addy and I can email you the guide that I have, you can make the decision yourself then if u feel you can do it.

Thanks Yop

Have PM'd - thanks for the help!!

Pitstop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I strongly un-recommend doing your own plumbing.

Problem with plumbing is a minor mistake can lead to literally years of trouble, tiny leaks that get gradually worse, water soaking slowly into your floor etc.

At least with electrics, flooring, plastering etc its obvious pretty quickly if something is done wrong. Its always too late with plumbing.

That said, if you know a (trained!) plumber who will check over your work for you as you go, it should work out all right.

Gurgle wrote:
    I strongly un-recommend doing your own plumbing.

Problem with plumbing is a minor mistake can lead to literally years of trouble, tiny leaks that get gradually worse, water soaking slowly into your floor etc.

At least with electrics, flooring, plastering etc its obvious pretty quickly if something is done wrong. Its always too late with plumbing.

That said, if you know a (trained!) plumber who will check over your work for you as you go, it should work out all right.

Yeah, kinda know where you're coming from - but did electrics and didn't blow myself up :D:D - which considering I did it from reading a book isn't bad going. I did pay a few squids to get something certify it and TBH - he was as thick as 2 planks!!! - then again, they're probably the only type who will pass some paperwork around like that!!

Am a bit worried about rotting some timbers alright - am still trying to get a vibe as to whether people would do this - I'll try anything and either f**k it up or get it right - probably not the right motto with such a big expense ;)

Pitstop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I have never tried ufh myself but I thought the idea with this was that you only put full continuous lenghts of tubing under say concrete so there are no joints to leak - and that all joints are accessible away from the floor.

A friend of mine layed an upstairs floor like this and the concrete company put small cubes of plastic into the concrete to make it semi-structural -(no steel to harm the piping).

Just thought I'd put this in - :D

***late add-in***

go read the thread on geo-heating under this one - loads of info on ufh -some-one will tell you what you need to know !!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

With plumbing and electrics, you either know you would be capable of doing it or not. If there is even the slightest hesitation about your ability, LEAVE IT TO THE PROFESSIONAL'S. Any f..k up in plumbing or electrics is going to have major consequences. You'll either drown your self or fry your rrr's off. :eek:

Play safe fella's

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Perhaps you can fill the system before the pipes are covered? I know theres a chance that a problem may not be evident right away, but it will be a help at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

You can pressure test the pipes for UFH in fact most plumbers do anyway, part of the reason is they can prove there pipework was sound prior to the screed being laid.

As to the rest of the house it's up to you to work out how much extra you will spend on fittings etc that a plumber doesn't have to use.

Then you have the rules that must be followed to prevent air locks and allow more than one cold tap to be used without scalding someone in the shower.

Time may not be a factor in your case but should be taken into consideration if you have other trades following you.

Advertisement