Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regarding Eircom's Wireless Modem offer..

Options
  • 18-03-2005 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭

I bought the wireless modem when it was on offer for free with a new trial or bought for €50 if you were on existing customer (which i did).

But i think it was mentioned on here before that if you bought it as an existing customer, your contract was automatically renewed for another 12 months. Any truth to this? Didn't get mentioned when ordering it on the phone anyways.

Hope it's not renewed.. (like practically everyone else here) am hoping to join SmartTelecom. That is, unless Eircom decrease their prices, increase their cap and also increase their upload speed. Good chance of that happening, i'd say! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Eh? We can get a router for 50euros? Is it still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

They caution you on the website that your contract is extended for 12 months, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Hi guys - long time listener, first time caller as it were...

I just checked their site - they don't offer the wireless router any more. You can buy a USB Wireless adapter from them, though.

One thing to note - I got the Netopia 3341W from €ircon when I signed up with them last August. It turned out that it *didn't* have a full-blown firewall (well, it does, but you have to pay Netopia for a code to unlock it). Also, it's only 802.11b (not g) compliant (giving 11Mb/s instead of 54) - which is just about ok for normal networking, but total b*ll*(ks for streaming video etc across it. :(

Maybe that's why they don't offer it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You sure they don't offer it anymore? See attached images from eircom site:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Well, I took this page as their offering (see image).
    I guess it's typical of €ircon....one page / person tells you one thing...and another page / person tells you something else.

I do remember seeing a version of the page that I attached with 3 columns (i.e. showing the 4-port wireless combi too). They may well still be selling it.

If they are...my don't forget my other point...that the Netopia isn't a full blown firewall (so you'll need ZoneAlarm or something else too), and it's only rated for 11 Mbps. You can get better on Komplett.

Regards,

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I called eircom about 3 weeks ago for broadband, and about 10 days later gave them a call to ask why I hadn't received the wirelessAP/DSLmodem (they said it would be posted on the 6th working day). They told me I haven't received anything because they haven't sent anything. They didn't have any APs in stock, they would have a new stock coming in April. I'm going bananas "Why hasn't anyone called me to tell me this? Can't you post me a regular modem instead?", and that they did. So last week, 15 days after my original call, I received the 3341 modem (USB and LAN connections).
    I also bought me an AP/card combo, and I don't want their wirelessAP anymore. They say it's free, but it's actually theirs, not yours. Whenever you cancel, they will want it back. So I say, to hell with them! I originally signed up with eircom, as opposed to esat, because of the wirelessAP. Now, that I bought my own wirelessAP, I'll be switching to esat soon.

Just my €0.02!

Cheers,
    JP

Advertisement