Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agents confused for IOL - Does anybody know the real answer?

Options
  • 17-03-2005 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I've spoke to three different agents on IOL's live help with three different answers. I asked them about the cap and upstream and if it will change.

First Agent: Upstream will be 512kbps/Cap Doubled
    Second Agent: Upstream will stay the same as will the cap
    Third Agent: Upstream will be around 1meg and cap stay the same

What's the deal? It seems as if the agents don't know or haven't been informed of the stats of the new products? Does anybody actually know?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

It was listed in the other thread - the big one.

Caps haven't been mentioned by Eircom so no other company (my belief anyhow) will make a move (they don't want to be pipped by Eircom). It is still expected that they will double before the new speeds do come into effect - next 3 weeks.

Upstream however is listed as 128 up by Eircom Wholesale. That means that's what IOL/UTV will be shipping and Eircom of course (they can't penalize their wholesale customers - uncompetitive etc etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Oh alright. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Esat haven't released a press release about it yet, so I doubt the agents even know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I've just gotten off the live help (didnt read this thread before it though)
    Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
    You have been connected to Tyrone C.
    Tyrone C: Good Afternoon Daniel, how can I help you?
    ZORO: Hey there - I've just got a quick question for you if you dont mind
    ZORO: Happy Paddy's day too :)
    Tyrone C: okay, no problem
    ZORO: I'm aware of the new upgrade that was announced the other day
    ZORO: But what wasn't mentioned, was any planned upgrade of the upload speed for the new connections
    ZORO: And to be honest, I'm worried that it's being left at 128k up (for the new 2meg down line)
    Tyrone C: actually we are planning to upgrade the speed for uploads as well as download limits
    ZORO: Could you confirm or deny this for me? :)
    ZORO: Really?! That's great news!
    Tyrone C: Unfortunately I do not have any more details on this
    ZORO: Can you let anything slip "by accident" or do I have to wait to find out? :)
    ZORO: Ah ok then
    Tyrone C: I can tell you that the uploads will be increased considerably
    Tyrone C: I mean the limits
    ZORO: Well at least I know now - I was concerned about that (I'm a heavy gamer) as 128k up is not enough
    ZORO: Hang on - are you referring to the CAPs??
    ZORO: or the actual upload speed
    Tyrone C: actually both
    ZORO: Heh :)
    ZORO: Well - that'll do me, nice to talk to you, and thanks!
    Tyrone C: it should be good for World of Warcraft 3
    Tyrone C: If you have any more enqueries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    ZORO: Thanks again Tyrone

Interesting ....
    Add to that another session that was done only minutes before mine (posted on another forum)
    Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
    You have been connected to XXXX.
    XXXX: Good afternoon Mik, how may I help you?
    Mik D: Hi
    Mik D: I was wondering with this new speed upgrade, are we going to see an increase in upload speed? (which would be more important to most serious uses)
    XXXX: Yes - this should increase proportionately with the speed upgrade
    Mik D: Is this confirmed or just conjecture?
    XXXX: Obviously other factors will influence this also, such as where you are downloading from
    XXXX: It will approx proportionately increase
    Mik D: That is not what I am asking. Straight question: Is the upload speed going to increase
    Mik D: Ah, so a 512 to 2Mb will go from 128 to ?`
    XXXX: As best as I can answer your question given that other factors will be involved
    Mik D: I realize the download speed is going to increase, that is what has been advertised, but what about the upload?
    XXXX: Because of this I cannot give you a quote but it will improve as the service improves
    Mik D: ?
    XXXX: The bandwith will increase and therefore upload speed will improve. Exactly how much I cannt put a figure on.
    XXXX: This is a free upgrade
    Mik D: The bandwith of the download, yes, but what about the upload speed? (when you send to people)
    XXXX: Yes - this will approx proportionately improve
    XXXX: Bandwidth improvement will inpact on down and upload
    Mik D: So the 512Kb that goes to 2Mb will then have a 512 Kb upload?
    XXXX: It should do yes - but other factors may effect this also
    Mik D: Ok, thanks alot for your help. Happy Paddy's day.

*shrug* Who knows what's going to happen until the official press release about it, but it appears to be 512 up? It couldn't be :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

where can you contact these guys gimme a link and i'll try to get something out of them

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Cremo wrote:
    where can you contact these guys gimme a link and i'll try to get something out of them
    There's a chat/help feature on http://www.esatbt.com

[edit]beaten to it :( [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Tyrone C: it should be good for World of Warcraft 3

wow 3? the first one was only released a month ago and it can be played fine on a 56k connection

i got the same guy...

You have been connected to Tyrone C.
    Tyrone C: Good Afternoon Neil, how can I help you?
    Neil C: Hi, i just have a quick question regarding the april 4th upgrade
    Tyrone C: okay
    Tyrone C: If its about download limits, they will be increased
    Neil C: I know that the download speed will be multiplied by four, what about the upload speed
    Tyrone C: At the moment I do not have this information, but I would assume the same would go for the upload speed
    Neil C: So you think that it could be possible for the upload speed to increase to 512k
    Tyrone C: I think its likely, but I cannot say for sure at the moment. We will have more details on this soon
    Neil C: Ok, do you have any figures regarding the download limits?
    Tyrone C: Unfortunately I do not at the moment, but these should be announced on our website soon
    Neil C: Ok, thanks for your time, i look forward to your annoucements.

he thinks it's likely for the upload will go from 128k to 512k. i'm seriously doubting this though

i'm pretty sure they are going to get pissed off soon with all the queries. I think it's safe to say that that statement there seals the deal. They don't know yet.

• Advertisement

yeh, it would be fine if it was even just doubled

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cremo wrote:
    yeh, it would be fine if it was even just doubled

The upload will be 128 thats the wholesale product being offered by Eircom full details are in the main thread on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

This "Tyrone C" can't do their job as per the specifications.

In other words having the faintest clue of what they are talking about...giving out ludicrous information is not a smart thing to do as those conversations can be easily logged.

The word False Advertising must not mean anything to "Tyrone C".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

dub45 wrote:
    The upload will be 128 thats the wholesale product being offered by Eircom full details are in the main thread on this.

Exactly.
    Until Eircom increase upload speeds on the Bitstream package there will be no shift on the matter.

I was on that Livehelp thing also and they were useless. E-mail sales/customer care. No reply. Couldn't be bothered again. I'll find more info, and faster, here than I will get from them.

Caps will increase, more than likely, but uploads do not seem likely. The livehelp people don't know what they're talking about - unless they're getting insider information from Eircom Wholesale - which would probably be illegal. </waffle>

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dlofnep wrote:
    I've spoke to three different agents on IOL's live help with three different answers. I asked them about the cap and upstream and if it will change.

First Agent: Upstream will be 512kbps/Cap Doubled
    Second Agent: Upstream will stay the same as will the cap
    Third Agent: Upstream will be around 1meg and cap stay the same

It sounds like the agents are not trained properly and because of this they don't know what the different between upstream and downstream is ;)
    same goes for many of the chat logs here...its a sad thing to see but all to common for many companys.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

These guys don't know what they are waffling about....512. In my dreams! I think they are getting confused between upload speed and upload cap ( I don't understand why upload is capped frankly as far as I see €ircon don't cap their higher end service so why should EsatBT cap theirs? )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Coming from a technical support department I can tell you there is a lot of bull crap spouted to keep customers happy. It's not because we particularly want to, it's because we aren't told or given the authority to give away info.

Customers often spout off at tech support when really they should be moaning at management. We just get the brunt of annoyed customers with short fuses.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I agree with Xcellor. It shouldn't even be tech support you're ASKING, it should be sales or customer care. It isn't the job of tech support to give out these details.

Advertisement