Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Link DSL-G604T connecting to UTV

Options
  • 16-03-2005 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I am a broadband newbie with UTV. Their Blaster DSL Router connects no bother. I wanted to go wireless and have not been able to connect.

I started with a linksys (not sure of model) but when it didn't work, I assumed it was my lack of knowledge and changed it for a D-Link DSL-G604T which was recommended by the guy in the shop. I have not had any luck with this either. I even rang UTV Technical Support and they were just a laugh ... they knew less then I did.

So is there anyone who can help me configure the D-Link router correctly (or even recommend one with appropriate config details) as the information on the utv site Driver: PPPoE; VPI: 8; VCI: 35; Set up type: LLC seems insufficient.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Your D-Link should probably be able to autodetect everything bar the username and password.

I presume you have the usual ZyXel USB modem they give out. Check what settings that is using and replicate them.

UTV definitely won't be able to help you. One of their first support questions is probably 'Are you using the modem provided...'.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

rav_dsl wrote:
    I am a broadband newbie with UTV. Their Blaster DSL Router connects no bother. I wanted to go wireless and have not been able to connect.

I started with a linksys (not sure of model) but when it didn't work, I assumed it was my lack of knowledge and changed it for a D-Link DSL-G604T which was recommended by the guy in the shop. I have not had any luck with this either. I even rang UTV Technical Support and they were just a laugh ... they knew less then I did.

So is there anyone who can help me configure the D-Link router correctly (or even recommend one with appropriate config details) as the information on the utv site Driver: PPPoE; VPI: 8; VCI: 35; Set up type: LLC seems insufficient.

Thanks

Normally that information with your user name and password should be sufficient. Are you sure you are entering it correctly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 rav_dsl

Sorry for the delay - I was away.

First of all, the freebie that UTV gave me is a blaster DSL router. I tried looking at the settings in advanced mode and copying them over but I still didn't have luck.

So back to the start. When everything is connected up to the D-Link router, the Power, WLAN, ADSL, and Ethernet line 1 LEDs are all lit. The status light flashes green. I login to 192.168.1.1 as admin and disable the wireless AP. In the DSL Setup I set the modulation type to GDMT (something I saw on the Blaster Router). Then I create a new connection (previously I was just modifying the original) to set PPPoE, NAT enabled, username and password as specified in mail from UTV (username is in the format cr######@adsl.utvinternet.ie), VPI and VCI are 8 and 35 respectively and QoS is UBR (by default). Oh yea and Set Route is enabled.

The result of all this when I try to connect is the following in the system log:

Mar 19 16:56:43> pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
    Mar 19 16:56:43> Connect: ppp0 {--} nas1
    Mar 19 16:56:43> CHAP authentication failed
    Mar 19 16:56:43> Connection terminated.
    Mar 19 16:56:43> Doing disconnect
    Mar 19 16:56:43> Failed to Authenicate

Any ideas? Tomorrow is D-day for the D-link. If I cant get it going, it's going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Im just after buying the same router, I was told by the guy in the shop to update the firmware, and he was right, the new firmware is much easier to use and get around:

DLINK

Also, I had to configure it while it was connected by CAT5, not wireless. Im with eircom so I just copied the settings from my old modem and it worked great also try just your username without the @ part at the end?

Hope this helps.

Sean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

chap authentication failed..

chalenge /response of username and password failed.

Confirm your username and password

• Advertisement

Using my credentials I have been able to login to review my UTV account, so they seem fine. These details were verified in a mail from UTV, but I did still try it without the domain details - unfortunately no joy.

I also upgraded the firmware. Now I did experience some difficulties when it was rebooting with the fs file. But I finally managed to get the kernel on (and the new wizard stuff was already enabled at that stage).

Unfortunately even after doing that I still get the same result ...

Aug 9 12:04:35> pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
    Aug 9 12:04:35> Connecting PPPoE socket: 00:90:1a:41:45:08 6b19 nas0 0x1000d3b8
    Aug 9 12:04:35> Connect: ppp0 {--} nas0
    Aug 9 12:04:36> CHAP authentication failed
    Aug 9 12:04:36> Failed to Authenicate
    Aug 9 12:04:36> Connection terminated.
    Aug 9 12:04:36> Doing disconnect

I restored the factory settings in the D-Link again. I walked through the wizard filling in all the details I could (I now have the Blaster connected using USB and the D-Link connected using ethernet cable). I even copied my credentials from the mail that UTV sent ... and believe it or not it all works.

Thanks a lot for the help. I dont know exactly what it was in the end, but it seems like the firmward upgrade did it.

One last question. how do you enable the wireless features in a secure fashion. To enable it is fine, but once I choose WEP or WPA encryption the router administration tool goes to an error page.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

rav_dsl wrote:
    One last question. how do you enable the wireless features in a secure fashion. To enable it is fine, but once I choose WEP or WPA encryption the router administration tool goes to an error page.

Any ideas?
    Can I ask a stupid question? Are you doing this using a wireless connection? If you are then as soon as you enable encryption the machine you are connecting with will not be able to connect until it is configured with the encryption settings.

MrP

No I still have the ethernet cable connected.

Once I click on the WEP or WPA options I get a DNS error in Internet Explorer.

• Advertisement

I disabled my firewall and antivirus software (as per D-Link site) and hey presto I am able to set things up :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

rav_dsl wrote:
    I disabled my firewall and antivirus software (as per D-Link site) and hey presto I am able to set things up :D

Why are you using both the dlink and the blaster? The dlink is an all in one so you dont need the blaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

So he can have internet access while messing with the dlink.

Advertisement