Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Measurement

Options
  • 16-03-2005 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Could somebody explain in "non-tech" speak, what exactly Pings and suchlike really are. Could you also explain how I can measure mine, once I understand them, that is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Could somebody explain in "non-tech" speak, what exactly Pings and suchlike really are. Could you also explain how I can measure mine, once I understand them, that is?

You can read all about it here
    http://www.just2good.co.uk/index.php?ITFrameSet.php?networkTools.htm

also check out the tracert command very handy for checking were your slow connection maybe

To use the ping command or tracert command you most open a CMD window. To do this go to start -> run and type in CMD a little black box should open there you can type

ping www.jolt.co.uk

and

tracert ww.jolt.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

when you connect 2 computers together and you want them to understand each other they need to have a protocol (predefined set of rules) to communicate.

the most common protocol is IP (Internet Protocol), which basically takes a information and breaks it down into small packet sized chunks to move it from computer to computer

as part of the pre-defined rules of IP their needs to be a way to test that IP is working i.e. that both computers are communicating, ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) is a subset of defined rules to enable this analysis.

Ping is a tool which sends a specific type of ICMP packet (ECHO_REQUEST datagram) from one computer to the other. It is designed such that when the other computer receives this particular packet it is supposed to reply with a response (ECHO_RESPONSE) packet.

Thus, if a reply is received communication is OK. If no reply received communication is NOT OK.

Example: ping www.eircom.net will give a response similar to

Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=55

Breaking this down, 159.134.198.138 is the IP ADDRESS of a computer in eircom, www.eircom.net is a name associated with this ip address, a concious decision made by eircom personnel.

Bytes=32 - this is the size of the packet sent to elicit a response

time=16ms - it took 16 microseconds for the full trip - leaving your computer and arriving at eircoms computer and returning back to yourself

TTL=55 - time to live - predefined length of time for the packet to get to ther and back. If the time is greater there will be a timeout

hope this helps...

osmethod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Every time I try and do either of these I get request timed out messages. Any ideas why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Do you have a firewall enabled? It could be blocking ping.exe and tracert.exe

See also netstat (in cmd) to see what ports are open.

I get the same result with the firewall turned off, so it's not that. Any other ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Router could be blocking you, if you have one

I'm using a zyxel prestige 600 series modem as supplied by esat. I think it works as a router aswell as an adsl modem but I'm a bit out of my depth here so I'm not really sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

abccormac wrote:
    I'm using a zyxel prestige 600 series modem as supplied by esat. I think it works as a router aswell as an adsl modem but I'm a bit out of my depth here so I'm not really sure.

The ZyXEL 623 that I got from EsatBT also blocks pings and tracerts.
    But that could be caused by the inbuilt Router(which comes in very handy when added to a switch) and I dont know how to bypass it for pinging other IP addresses.

Any help for us poor unfortunates???

Advertisement