Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upload Rate

Options
  • 16-03-2005 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

I just read on Dsl report how important the upload rate is

They estimate that the minimum rate needed is 6% of the max downlaod rate
    For every packet received on the download channel, a 40 byte packet must come back (a zero data length TCP packet). If the link was running at full speed 640kbps, you would need a back channel capacity of more than 640 x 6% = 40 .. so your return channel is half used for just a download! for Bell Atlantic 90/1600 ADSL, things are even more dire, and you may have trouble seeing 1600kbps! If you actually wish to transmit any _data_ on your upload channel (say, an email with large attachment or someone is using your FTP server, or taking an mp3 from your Napster cache), then download speed will be severely impacted..

For those on the 2mb / 128 package next month , they wont have enough upload capacity (you have to into account the amount of error packets) . While im delighted to have a really fast connection , im disappointed at the Eircom /Esat / Utv for the shabby upload rate . Would it make much a difference to them to up it to 256 .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Bodan wrote:

I make 128kbps to be 6.4% of 2mbps.

ample

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Bodan wrote:
    I just read on Dsl report how important the upload rate is

For those on the 2mb / 128 package next month , they wont have enough upload capacity (you have to into account the amount of error packets) . While im delighted to have a really fast connection , im disappointed at the Eircom /Esat / Utv for the shabby upload rate . Would it make much a difference to them to up it to 256 .

your right about that 128 is absolute bare bare minimum. i wouldnt mind but the upper package isnt exactly cheap. everyone knows they just have to press a button on a pc to make it 256. they wont do it because of voip concerns (i have to turn of other pc to use skype because even packet data sent by the other pc for litttle programs like gmail notifier screw up a voip conversation completely where the other party cant hear me), bandwidth concerns for bittorent users (stil only 5 cent a gig ie bugger all) and to hold something back for another marketing stunt another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

they wont do it because of voip concerns , bandwidth concerns for bittorent users and to hold something back for another marketing stunt another day

I understand your points and why some ppl agree with them , but ..

im not too sure of the voip arguement because voip can be done now without a increase in speed . Also how many other isp's have done the same thing to try and combat voip in this way, hardly any .

file sharing is another debatable arguement as most ppl will still only download from those with fast speeds . whats the point in having 50kbs bandwidth if your only goin to download at 12kbs. Plus not everything on these networks is illegal ;) !

Hopefully this will be debated friday morning on Newstalk as id love to hear why there not upgrading this part of there service

Bodan wrote:
    whats the point in having 50kbs bandwidth if your only goin to download at 12kbs. Plus not everything on these networks is illegal ;) !

have yea heard of bittorrent? the faster u upload, the faster u download, bitttorent is able to max out ur download speed if u can upload fast enough to other leeches if it connects to several sources at the same time .

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

have yea heard of bittorrent? the faster u upload, the faster u download, bitttorent is able to max out ur download speed if u can upload fast enough to other leeches if it connects to several sources at the same time .

Yeah , i have been using it alot lately . 95% of the time i get flat out 50 kbs connection the others i get 30 - 35 kbs . Emule is the only file sharing application i have come across that you get down what you upload . Im sure there is more out there , but i would not class BT in the same category . There in lies my point i rarely use emule any more unless im after a really old file .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 The One

is voip free? i have skype but i think making phonecalls with it actually costs money so i dont use it. :confused:
    i always taught it costs money so just wonderin why ye all tryna use it!

everything costs money my friend, somes things more than others though ;) skype out to most foreign landlines is only 1.75 cent a minute, eircoms/esats rate varies between 10 cent and 80-90 cent.

also i have a proper voip phone so its like the real thing.

pc to pc calls where both parties are running skype and logged in are totally free of course so theoretically both parties could talk for ever for 'free' even if on opposite sides of the globe if both have broadband. this is why eircom are scared. can u imagine a company with a branch in ireland, and head office in the USA talking to head office free lol, eircom would have a fit :D voip doesnt work reliably if there is more than 1 pc on that broadband connection unless the upload rate is much much higher than 128k. even light web page surfing on the other pc results in the conversation dropping out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Upload on Eircoms 1mb is 26 -28kb

/to play games you need a min 8kb to play lag free

kdjac

Advertisement