Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 1MB -> 4MB Cont.... (ADSL, Upload Speeds, Caps Info)

Options
  • 16-03-2005 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Ok, I wrote a hell of a long thread in reply to some confusion over ADSL, Upload Speeds and Caps in the original Eircom Press Release thread... and by the time I finished it... some mod had closed it for it being brought off topic! I'm glad I hit CTRL+C before hitting post! Anyway, I wanted to post this info up for anyone who wants to read it since I went to the effort of researching it and stuff......

Ok, I've been doing some research on ADSL/SDSL and it's limitations. ADSL means "asymmentric digital service line", SDSL means "symmentric digital service line". Here's what I've found and thought I'd share with ppl who were giving out about Eircom and didn't seem to know the entire facts....

1. ADSL can have a maximum of 8MB Download and 640kb Upload.
    2. SDSL can have a maximum of 1.5MB Upload and 1.5MB Down.
    3. ADSL needs to be many times faster downloading than uploading.
    4. The further from an exchange you are the slower your connection will get.
    5. You need to be within 18,000 feet of an exchange for ADSL.
    6. You need to be within 23,000 feet of an exchange for SDSL.
    7. ADSL will support POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) while SDSL will not.
    8. ADSL is called "asymmetric" because most of its two-way bandwidth is devoted to the downstream direction that sends data to the user. That's why it is much higher in download speed than upload speed.
    9. You cannot get the same top speeds in both directions at the same time.

I got all this info from http://www.buytelco.net/NetworkApplications.asp?ID=609 if anyone is interested

Now, I'm not an expert in this and I wonder "WHY" eircon cannot increase the upload speed to 256/512/640kb? Is there any other limitations that are stopping them from doing so or are they just holding back to make more money?

Here's another piece from another site.... "Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line enables voice and high-speed data to be sent simultaneously over the existing telephone line by taking advantage of the typical pattern of network access on the Internet by users who frequently download large amounts of data but upload relatively small amounts of data. ADSL offers differing upload and download speeds, providing higher downstream data rates at the expenditure of upstream rates. This allows Internet users to benefit from expanded download and browsing capabilities while requiring relatively little upstream bandwidth. ADSL is called "asymmetric" because of the differing upload and download speeds."

Here's more info on how ADSL works for anyone who is interested... http://www.adslguide.org.uk/howitworks/

I'm after checking out a bunch of the top broadband providers in the UK and they are averaging their upload speeds at 250kb/s. Many of the them are also averaging their caps at about 15GB per month. The price for a 2MB down / 250kb up, 15GB limit is about £30 per month, so thats about 45 yoyos. Additional GB's per month seem to be rolling in at about 3 yoyos.

Ok, taking the UK as something to go by... i'd say that eircom will stick at 128kb/s on the upload. I don't think they will up this if no other provider is going to challenge this. Eircom most likely won't lead the race on the upload speed. They won't up it, if they don't have to. They are more concerned with promoting the massive increase in the dl rate. I'd say they will increase their caps to 16GB for the Home plus/Business starter and start enforcing the extra charges in the coming months.

However, we have been pleasently suprised with the 2GB jump so maybe they will go the extra and up the 128 to 256 for the up! But until someone else in the Irish market ups it first, I really can't see eircom doing it. 2 ways eircom seem to get off the fcuking asses and do something innovative... they are forced to via legislation/regulations/etc or competition requires them to do so!

Oh, I've had a 5 person conversation on skype using 512/128 connection without any problems. Faster bandwidth in both directions will obviously help stablise this but you can still make your VOIP calls with a 128up connection.

Lets hope and pray! :D

Rgds,

Dave

Thx... had to give my 2 cents.... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

This post was the wonderbra of the internet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

damn, false advertising,

I thought you had real information about eircom's caps and upload info :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Very impressive.

But could you have got out a calculator and changed those feet distance measurements to something someone of my generation can understand i.e.miles or preferable km as feet measures havent been part of a school curiculm for 30 years.

Again thank you for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I asked Eircom about the caps and the upload bandwidth, and this is the response I got
    Damien

With regard to your query on broadband, the current download limits are under review and the upstream bandwidth has not been increased.

Regards

John Mangos

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

This post was the wonderbra of the internet. :(
    What do you mean, sorry?

diarmo wrote:
    Very impressive.

But could you have got out a calculator and changed those feet distance measurements to something someone of my generation can understand i.e.miles or preferable km as feet measures havent been part of a school curiculm for 30 years.

Again thank you for the info.
    Ok...

18,000 feet = 5,486 metres = 5.4864 km = 3.40909 miles
    23,000 feet = 7,010 metres = 7.0104 km = 4.35606 miles

Trusty Nokia 6600 did the hard work there

CyberGhost wrote:
    damn, false advertising,

I thought you had real information about eircom's caps and upload info
    Praetorian has helped with that. Sry for the confusion CyberGhost but my post did relate to ADSL, Upload Speeds and Caps. :D At least you got the info now!

Rgds,

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I'm closing this, it'll just attract the same nonsense the last one did. When there's actual news on caps or anything of the sort a new thread is justified, but not a minute before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement