Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious about Contention Ratio

Options
  • 16-03-2005 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Just wondering, for example, in Dublin particularly, if one gets ADSL, say 1024/256 and CR of 24:1 has anyone experienced where 24 persons are on simultaneously?

Does this condition imply an approx 42/10 sized pipe....?

osmethod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

I don't thinl that there is any provider in dublin (other than maybe IBB on some of their towers) that would let your contention get anywhere near this.
    Eircom and IOL DSL seems to have little to no contention. General internet congestion at peak times seems to be more of a problem than contention. I've only ever been on a 24:1 connection, never a 48:1 though.

Personally I wouldnt worry about the contention on any service at all. If the bandwidth is being contended to any real degree I wouldnt want to do business with that isp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

True.

Also in low density broadband areas such as small towns contention isnt much of an issue as you are less likely to get people constantly downloading large files.

Low Population density = good broadband service != ISP(Eircom/EsatBT/UTV)

Advertisement