Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV clicksilver customers.

Options
  • 16-03-2005 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Guess we better get the ball rolling.
    UTV have not announced that we are getting any speed increase inline with other providers. Seeing as how we are tied into there phone service I recon we should to get something special.
    At the very least we want what other broadband providers are offering.
    I would say we want.
    1mb dl for medium service (€29:00)
    2mb dl for high service (€45:00)
    And the removal of the cap, or at least the effective removal of the cap.

If our demands are not met we will not continue our custom with UTV after our individual contracts expire.
    Post below stating if you wish to send these demands to UTV. We'll add all the names and each send an identical e-mail with the list of names to UTV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

Since eircom have increased their wholesale speeds, UTV will be offering the same speeds as Eircom, IOL/EsatBT, just hold out for a week and you'll see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Probably true but seeing as how we are hooked into there phone service we should get something special like the removal of the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

pat kenny wrote:
    Probably true but seeing as how we are hooked into there phone service we should get something special like the removal of the cap.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Shred

Personally I think we're already getting something special from using their telephony, considering my call charges for February were only 72c (and we do make a lot of calls) :) With regards to the extra bandwidth, I'd be happy with the same speed increase as €ircon are offering but I would like the cap to be increased to 16GB at least. Just my 2c.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

pat kenny wrote:

No one forced you into that - it is clearly stated when you sign up and as Shred points out above its a pretty good deal at the moment. The only problem with the telephony service is that for some people their telephony 12 month contract will be out of sync with their 12 month bb contract which may be an issue if you do wish to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

My worry is that we will be all upgraded to the new speeds but will be tied automatically to a new 12 month contract (without notififcation).. utv have a nasty history of doing this.

I would hope that utv will offer their bb customers the option ... stay as you are or upgrade with no impact on current contract period (within 12 months).

My own contract is up at the end of March and I am waiting to see..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

My contract is up 1st April. I'm going to sign up with IBB, get rid of my Eircom line & start using a VOIP service. Can't wait to get rid of Eircom.

MrP

My worry is that we will be all upgraded to the new speeds but will be tied automatically to a new 12 month contract (without notififcation).. utv have a nasty history of doing this.

I would hope that utv will offer their bb customers the option ... stay as you are or upgrade with no impact on current contract period (within 12 months).

My own contract is up at the end of March and I am waiting to see..

UTV cannot force a new 12 month contract on you. And while I do not like their obsession with 12 month contracts they dont have a nasty history of doing what you claim.

What they did the last time was to refuse to pass the new lower prices on unless you committed to a further 12 month contract. It will be harder for them to come up with something like that this time as the old products are automatically going to be upgraded and the prices are staying the same - but I would not put it past them to come up with something with a sting in it. According to the UTV support group they are currently 'product modelling'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

dub45 wrote:
    The only problem with the telephony service is that for some people their telephony 12 month contract will be out of sync with their 12 month bb contract which may be an issue if you do wish to leave.

Does anyone know what the penalties are for breaking your contract. I'll be moving home soon and so I sent an email asking if I could transfer the service to the new place. They said:

"Moving Broadband to a new address is not that simple we have broadband at your old
    address and then reodering a new line for new address.
    the process you would need to take is cancel your old broadband account, with a
    cancellation fee, and resign up for a new account with your new address details."

Anyone any idea how much this cancellation fee is likely to be. I signed up for broadband in May last year but then I signed up for a new 12 month contract in October for the free calls thing!

Does anyone know what the penalties are for breaking your contract. I'll be moving home soon and so I sent an email asking if I could transfer the service to the new place. They said:

"Moving Broadband to a new address is not that simple we have broadband at your old
    address and then reodering a new line for new address.
    the process you would need to take is cancel your old broadband account, with a
    cancellation fee, and resign up for a new account with your new address details."

Anyone any idea how much this cancellation fee is likely to be. I signed up for broadband in May last year but then I signed up for a new 12 month contract in October for the free calls thing!

When I mentioned this 'being out of sync' in the support group recently someome emailed me and stated that in fact it was not legal to tie someone into a 12 month contract for their telephony so it might be worth pursuing that to see if it is true. I dont know what the telephony cancelltion fee might be. If someone here does not post on it it might be worth a call to Comreg.

• Advertisement
Advertisement