Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

band of brothers

Options
  • 15-03-2005 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I was just thinking about what a great series this was, anyone else agree?
    each episode was better then most war films. v. sad though too,
    its good to see there's still quite a few of easy company still alive from the dvd....

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ahh....what was the point of this now....?
    "I also think BoB was great etc etc"
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I agree, great series and very well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

HBO = Teh Daddies.... BoB was fantastic also.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Excellent Series IMO, great acting, amazing fight scenes and well choreographed(sorry bout the spelling).
    After Sopranos(another great job by HBO) its my favourite Box Set ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Yeah, got the box set myself, excellent stuff. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Best television series ever made imho.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The boxset rocks. Am i right in thinking that there are a few extra scenes as well? Like in the first episode where Winters works out that they'll be heading to Normandy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

delly wrote:
    The boxset rocks. Am i right in thinking that there are a few extra scenes as well? Like in the first episode where Winters works out that they'll be heading to Normandy.

Yeah there are a few added scenes alright that are different from the TV version.

Best Mini-series evar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

best mini series would be Taken for me...probably only because i had no idea what was happening with Band of Brothers.I think i watched the 2nd half on BBC,then watch the first half on RTE and I had really no idea about where they were,where half the characters were going to etc!lol i wonder if it will be on tv again...box set aint top of my list,carnivale and lost come first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The best mini-series ever was Roots.

I love Band of Brothers. How those troops managed to survive during that harsh winter with little food and hardly any ammo is quite remarkable. Plus the scenes when the guy goes to the makeshift hospital at the church and his interactions with the French girl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brad555

This was a wonderful series. I would love to own the DVD, but it just cost too much. The lowest I have seen is $75.00 and that is just way too much for a poor guy like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

fantastic mini series. Best imo. Every episode was of cinematic quality. Nothing held back, no glorification of war or america, just told it as it was.
    Best box set i own! (actually its the only one ....:) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeap great series got the box set for x-mas and i enjoyed every minute of it!!! sat down one day and watched every episode one after another

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

The combat scenes where brilliant, the tracers flyin everywhere from mg fire etc. The sound effects were the best though <on surround>, many of them from "saving private ryan" (the king of all war films)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

i must do that, watch the whole series continuously, next time i get a day off work, something to look forward to...

did anyone hear that the makers of BoB are planning another ww2 set series following a company in the fighting against japan? it might have just been a crazy rumor though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Rcuomo wrote:
    I was just thinking about what a great series this was, anyone else agree?
    each episode was better then most war films. v. sad though too,
    its good to see there's still quite a few of easy company still alive from the dvd....
    True...especially considering how badly mawkish and sentimental it could have been as it was a Speilberg/Hanks co-production.

I prefare it over Saving Private Ryan as BOB is actually based around true events and characters and there was very little embellishing of the story of the 101st Airborn for directorial purposes.

I was impressed with Saving Private Ryan at first, but it hasn't stood the test of time. Take out the first and last battle scenes and you're left with a very mediocre movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

brad555 wrote:
    This was a wonderful series. I would love to own the DVD, but it just cost too much. The lowest I have seen is $75.00 and that is just way too much for a poor guy like me.

I got the metal tin box set in Xtra-vision a month or two back for €40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Loved BoB, it was the best mini series on tv ever. The first episode was a bit crap though. David Schwimmer had the worst role ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I was impressed with Saving Private Ryan at first, but it hasn't stood the test of time. Take out the first and last battle scenes and you're left with a very mediocre movie.
    Take out the best bits of any movie and you will be left with a medicore one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Take out the best bits of any movie and you will be left with a medicore one.

I think maybe the point was that there were only two good scenes in Saving Private Ryan. It was well made but tbh, a bit crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

I've got this, and as some have said it's the best mini-series ever imo.

IT's such an epic story(following them from boot camp to VJ-day) with great characters, made all the better when you find out it is almost a documentary!

My little sister loved it so much she wrote to some of the guys in it (girls... eh:rolleyes:) and got loads of replies, even a signed photo of Winters. He really seems as cool as you'd think he is!

If ye like the series you should read the books:

Band of Brothers by Steven Ambrose, the book the series is based on.

Parachute Infantry by David Webster, Web in the series.

I prefer the latter, it's one of the best war accounts I've read. The guy was a Harvard grad and his book is brilliant.
    ... especially considering how badly mawkish and sentimental it could have been as it was a Speilberg/Hanks co-production.

It's funny you say that, I've been watching these again recently, and one of the (minor at best) things that gets me is how most of the episodes ends with a buddy-buddy bit, kinda like the end of He-Man or any 80's cartoon, but hey it's American TV right!

Still great!

Advertisement