Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get broadband?

Options
  • 15-03-2005 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

The Smart one is based solely on what exchange you fall under - not if you will be eligeable. Chances are you won't. Are you more than 5km from your exchange, or is the road you're living on old? If so, the line quality won't meet the requirements of Broadband.

NTL or IBB may be options for you however.
    Sorry mate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

That should be OK, but is the road on which the new houses are built and old one?

Also, eircom's test does give false negatives. Call them up, and ask for a retest. An engineer will go out manually to the exchange, and be able to tell you exactly what the problem is (if any). That service is free. Call 1901 to avail of it.

2.5KM should be OK, but can I ask what the first 3 digits of the new Phone Number are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

The phone, or the phoneline?

A lack of a plugged in phone should not be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Im down in the dumps

I have nooooo chance of getting bb....i live in an area with the worst telephone lines and we also apparently live in a dip which means no wireless service either.

satellite internet isnt worth it. as id want it for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

give these geezers a buzz http://wireless.digiweb.ie/, As far as I know the latency with their product is allright for gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ruhan

You gotta love getting this reply from the broadband tigger site:
    We plan to broadband enable your town

Your town is planned to be enabled for broadband by mid '04. Once it is enabled we will let you know, so that you can then select a supplier to provide you with broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Call them up, and ask for a retest. An engineer will go out manually to the exchange, and be able to tell you exactly what the problem is (if any).

Yeah right :rolleyes: You've obviously never had the pleasure of dealing with our telecoms incumbent. It can take over a year to get a phone line installed (mine only took 6 months) in this country and you think they'll care about a single potential DSL subscriber in BallyGoBackwards?

On the plus side (sort of, if your a sadist) - your neighbour not being able to get DSL has almost no bearing on whether you can, assuming (and it's a safe enough assumption) that the reason he cannot is due to poor line condition (and not distance from the exchange).

Advertisement