Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB and Linux

Options
  • 15-03-2005 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Does anyone have any idea what type of modem I could use to enable me to connect to IOLBB using Linux.

My understanding, after some searching, is that my Zyxel 630 is a non runner as such.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ThaMasta

Im typing this on Red Hat 9, through my Zyxel, from IOLBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

a non runner? What does that mean?

I use iolbb and the zyxel (now bridged into my wireless router) and i've never had a problem. All you need to do is make sure you are using ethernet with your router and not usb as that could be a nightmare to get working (if at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Should have explained a bit more. I'm using Mandrake 8.2 and the networking part isn't giving me many options. I'll see if I can pick up a more recent distro from somewhere. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Step 1. Connect IOLBB Modem to Phoneline
    Step 2. Connect RJ-45/Network Cable into Back of modem
    Step 3. Connect opposite end of RJ-45/Network Cable into back of PC
    Step 4. Open Konkeror sp? or Mozilla etc. on your Linux pc and type in 192.168.1.1
    Step 5. Login using default password and configure modem as per instruction manual.

It cant be much harder then that. I had it running on a Ubutnu install a while ago no problems. Just run it though the network port and not the usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Big P wrote:
    I use iolbb and the zyxel (now bridged into my wireless router)
    Please don't take this personally, I'm just trying to clarify some terms.

A bridge connects two segments of the same network, usually of different media. What you call "wireless router" is actually a bridge. Has two interfaces, probably ethernet0 and wireless0, or similarly tasteful names, bridged together. They connect the wired segment and the wireless segment together. And furthermore, they share the same IP address.

When you say you bridged the zyxel modem into the wireless router, do you mean you connected them via UTP cable?

Cheers,
    JP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

markyboy wrote:
    My understanding, after some searching, is that my Zyxel 630 is a non runner as such.
    Which Zyxel 630 is it?
    I've got a Zyxel 630-11 which is USB-only... and hence connecting it to my PC via ethernet cable is impossible.
    The only option is to get the Zyxel hardware working over USB, which is a big pain in the arse... there's a guide for it here:
    http://www.linux.ie/articles/tutorials/zyxel630-11.php
    It's pretty daunting for someone who doesn't know linux inside-out.
    I've tried it a few times without success, but I guess I've been unlucky as I know people who've gotten this working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I had it set up on Mandrake 10 easily enough using ethernet. Maybe it is the earlier distro. I can post you a copy of the cds if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

JoyPad wrote:
    When you say you bridged the zyxel modem into the wireless router, do you mean you connected them via UTP cable?
    Standard cat5 crossover cable. Enabled bridge in zyxel and set up PPPoE in the wireless router therefore removing all the extra features of the zyxel and *just* using it to dialup.

Regarding setting up linux, getting a newer version of mandrake aint going to make much difference, one of the easiest things to do in linux is set up your network. I use gentoo so I edit text files for this (/etc/conf.d/net and /etc/resolv.conf) but mandrake surely has (or kde even which you're probably using as WM) some form of network setup tool. One thing I will recommend is disabling DHCP, because you will need to know what your router/ip details are. I prefer static ip's internally as they're faster to start and you'll understand how your network is setup better (unlike windows and its by default dhcp).

for example:
    your ip: 192.168.1.33
    default gateway: 192.168.1.1
    nameserver: 192.168.1.1

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Thanks for the help. Went into Reads on the way home and picked up a copy of linuxformat magazine.

I've just booted from the DVD and am typing this logged in through the ATmission live CD from the cover.

It must be a problem with the older distro I had.

Again thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

markyboy wrote:
    Does anyone have any idea what type of modem I could use to enable me to connect to IOLBB using Linux.

Actually it should be fine. All you need to do is to connect a nic and connect via the network cable provided rather than USB. Configure the network card and accept the default settings and it should be ok. (I find this way better than the usb connection anyway even in Windows etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I had to go through all this: http://www.linux.ie/articles/tutorials/zyxel630-11.php to get it working on Mandrake 10.1 Official

Advertisement