Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where can I find a teacher?

• 15-03-2005 11:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi all, i am new to the board. anyway. i was just wondering. i am an irish person living in dublin who has been looking for about 8 months to find a place to learn korean in dublin. like a language school or class that is part time. like once or twice a week. i have tried the net to find places but have been very unsuccessful. if anyone knows where i can find somewhere i would greatly appreciate the help. thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Probably a good question to ask is why you want to learn it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 244 ✭✭tails2

i want to learn it because i think it is a very beautiful language and i have a big interest in korean culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frany

tails2 wrote:
    i want to learn it because i think it is a very beautiful language and i have a big interest in korean culture.

Hello, I'm from S.Korea. At least, it's not easy to find even Korean letters in Ireland as I know.

I could find there were other Asian languages like Chinese and Japanese

but I couldn't find Korean launguage in anywhere of Ireland for tourists.

If you don't mind any personal teacher, I can introduce other Korean who is studying in Dublin.

And I think he needs a part time job in Dublin to keep studying continously.

Hope to hear from you soon and take care. :p

http://www.prkorea.com/estart.html

You can learn Korean history, cultural things and foods, etc...here.

And you can get Korean penpals as well.

Hope it gives you a good help.;)

tails2 wrote:

Kind of a generic answer. My reply to that would be "Who is she?" ;)

However learning the language is one thing. You also need to be somewhat absorbed into the language as well or your going to loose what you learn. Penpals may help in that instance and try to get free korean resources (eg. kbs station online).

Another solution is to bop around to hanyang market and ask if you can leave an advert there for a teacher or (I know who Frany is talking about) is intrested he's a good teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Sorry to bump this up, but as I train in Tae Kwon Do which is a Korean form of Martial Arts, I hear my instructor shout orders at us in Korean, have the time I donno what it means but I would love to learn it, even just some basic phrases.

I'm from Co. Tipperary where might I find a tutor in my area?

just wanted to say thank you to hobbes and frany for your help. i have still been busy looking and am still alone in wanting to learn. ha ha. anyway i have taken a big jump and have decided and have started to plan a 5 week tri to korean. i am applying to ku (korean uni) to do a 4 week intensive course. i have many korean friends online so keeping up what i have learned to make sure i dont forget isnt a problem. also i would like to study it here but i am still a student so i dont think i would be able to pay your friend very much at all cos i dont live at home and work hard myself to pay my way around.lol. anyway i have heard from one of my korean friends about korean churches and have been told it is a great place to find out info about korea and korean and maybe if i go there to the information office they can help me. i contacted the embassy and they said there is no official korean language school or class here so that was a waste of time. i will keep looking and if you come up with any more info i would be very happy. oh if any of you want to email me or send me a message on msn about it my address is konspiracytheorizt@hotmail.com

once again thanks alot

I would of thought a trip to Korea would be more expensive then private tutition in Dublin. I know the person in question Frany suggested to you. Hes a good teacher. Not sure what his rates are though. :)

I guess if you can go to Korea, its probably the way to go. But I have to ask where is KU? (Korean University). As far as I know that is a generic name for Korean schools outside Korea. For example I heard there is one in Leeds in the UK.

hi all. yeah hobbes it probably would be cheaper to get lessons from franys friend. in fact id say it is but i am using this as an excuse to go to korea. i want to learn the language but if i can visit the country while i am doing that and for a few weeks live like a normal korean then i will take the chance. i will go for a bout 5 weeks. 4 for study and 1 to explore. my 'plan' is to go to class 5 days a wee, study in the evenings of those 5 days, then study on a saturday(not sure weather ill do the whole day or maybe 5 or 6 hours), then take a sunday to do what ever i want then at the end i will have 1 week to go around and be a tourist. i have supplied the link to the college i want to go to below you can check it out if you want. also i was wondering if you are korean hobes... probably a stupid question but just wondering. if so can you give me any advice on when i get to korea. what i should do or places i should see? i have a few friends in korea who i will meet but when i am on my own is there anything i should do??? or furthermore is there anything i should watch out for? i have heard korea is a very safe place and dont need to watch my back like in ireland ha ha... anyway just drop your 2 cents. thanks.

http://kola.korea.ac.kr/klcc/index_english.html

• Advertisement

I'm not Korean.

I recommend you get a homestay. It is like a B+B except you are living with a Korean family. It will help you learn the culture more and you meet more Koreans. Also try to learn some of the culture that isn't related to language. I'll post up what I can remember. I did one about Kilbun and nunchi already (see ealier posts).

http://kola.korea.ac.kr/klcc/index_english.html[/QUOTE]

Hello, I'm frany again. Yes I know the university.
    I don't think you just want to learn only Korean language
    and that's why you want to visit Korea.
    Because price is so much expensive than I expected.
    They just run a different academy(Korean language school for foreigners).
    Its name is Korean cultural education center(한국문화교육센터) in Korean.
    You said you can't afford to pay for the Korean teacher in Ireland.
    But I think it's much more expensive that you apply to this academy
    than you pay for your Korean teacher here.
    And I don't think your Korean will be much better in Korea for only 5wks.
    My English is the same as you in Ireland.
    It has been about 1yr since I came to Ireland.
    I lived in Korea over 30yrs.
    But I don't think my English is much better because I'm in Ireland.
    It means it's really hard to make Irish friends in Ireland you know.
    I recommend that you visit Korea if you want to learn Korean things like culture, customs..etc...
    But if you just want to learn Korean language only,
    I want to say you better get a Korean teacher here.
    I want to tell you that Language school is very expensive in anywhere.
    I tried to apply to any English language school in Dublin.
    It was very expensive as well.
    So I don't think you learn Korean language cheap in the univ.
    And my friend is a Korean male but he is just looking for a part time job in Dublin.
    Anyway hope you will get a right answer for you.

memphis wrote:
    Sorry to bump this up, but as I train in Tae Kwon Do which is a Korean form of Martial Arts, I hear my instructor shout orders at us in Korean, have the time I donno what it means but I would love to learn it, even just some basic phrases.

I'm from Co. Tipperary where might I find a tutor in my area?

Actually,it's not easy to learn Korean in Ireland.
    So I recommend that you learn Korean from your Korean instructor.:cool:

hi frany, thanks for your feedback. i didnt exactly mean that i couldnt afford to get a teacher here i just meant that i couldnt pay an extravagant amount of money for one. i have heard stories of people having been quoted over the top prices for english teachers and i know i couldnt keep doing it long term at those prices. i want to go to korea to experience the country, and to also learn more about its culture. that is why i wanted to stay on after study to travel. but the course i wanted to do was an intensive course which means i will learn alot in a short time if i study hard aswell as go to class. i know i wont speak korean after this very much but it will teach me alot about it and get me started. plus there are days when they bring you on culture trips too. i would like to find out more about your korean friend who would teach me. i would like to do that very much but as i said if he is relying on me to be his source of income and his only source of income then i dont know if it will be enough. this is what i meant about not being able to afford it. if he wants to teach me in his spare time for some extra cash then i would be very interested in it but i dont think i could be a source of income.lol. i am sure you understand... if you or he would like to get in touch with me then just email me at either of these addresses. i check them almost everyday or if you would prefere to instant message me then even better.

konspiracytheorizt@hotmail.com

tails2@gmail.com

once again thank you for your help...

I know the instructor in question, he is sound and can vouch for him (although I don't know his prices) but I guess they would be on par with other language teachers.

Another thing I recommend you do when you get there is to make sure you see other parts of the country. The culture varies a lot across the country. Again if possible do homestays. If you have the cash I would recommend visiting Jeju as well, it can be expensive.

hi again. any chance you could put him in touch with me or ask him if he is interested? or even what his price rate is? any info at all will be good. thanks again. to you and frany...

tails2 wrote:
    hi again. any chance you could put him in touch with me or ask him if he is interested? or even what his price rate is? any info at all will be good. thanks again. to you and frany...

His hotmail address is here. You can add his address to your buddy list.

nuthina@hotmail.com

You can ask how much he charges for the Korean class and whatever you want to know.

I don't think he will charge a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

frany wrote:
    Actually,it's not easy to learn Korean in Ireland.
    So I recommend that you learn Korean from your Korean instructor.:cool:
    LOL

No no, my intructor isn't Korean, he is Irish, a Cork man in fact. What he shouts at us is just basic phrases like Bow, counting, stances, and the like. Alot of websites on Taekwondo do in fact have basic korean terms on em if anyone here is interested!

memphis wrote:
    LOL

No no, my intructor isn't Korean, he is Irish, a Cork man in fact. What he shouts at us is just basic phrases like Bow, counting, stances, and the like. Alot of websites on Taekwondo do in fact have basic korean terms on em if anyone here is interested!

Oh really? I'm very interested in it but I need to learn from the basic though I'm a Korean. :o:p
    But I know some Koreans who are living in Ireland so I can find out about that. please wait unitl I get the answer. :p

The worst thing is I don't understand Cork accent....T_T(crying emoticon)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

I'm also possibly looking to learn the basics in Korean. 80% chance I'll be heading off there next March.

• Advertisement

hi all, i started to learn korean on monday. wow i have learned so much so far. i have had four lessons and my teacher says i am a very fast learner. it is starting to get a little hard though cos we have moved forward a bit. i am going to korea in june and will be back in augest. i cant wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ide

Hi,

I'm an Irish girl living in Seoul for 3 years and I've been studying Korean for over a year. I love studying Korean and even though there's a possiblity I will return to Ireland in the near future I would like to continue to study Korean there. Seeing as I have made a lot of progress ( i think?!) it would be a shame to throw it all away...

If I master Korean would it be of any use in helping me getting a job in Ireland? ( I teach english here but studied tourism/marketing in college)

What do Koreans in Ireland think about this? Or anybody??

tails2 wrote:
    hi all, i started to learn korean on monday. wow i have learned so much so far. i have had four lessons and my teacher says i am a very fast learner. it is starting to get a little hard though cos we have moved forward a bit. i am going to korea in june and will be back in augest. i cant wait.

Oh..that's very nice. :p I plan to visit Korea this year but I' not sure when I can get a cheap flight. I want to avoid summer season in Korea. I don't like summer season though I'm a Korean. haha Yes the degree goes up to about 30 celsius in Seoul and it stays around 26~27 celsius even at night time. You can't go sleep without an electronic fan or an air conditioner.

it's more terrible in winter season of Korea. It goes down to -5 celsius in day time, but it ㅎoes down more to -10 celsius at night time with strong wind. Heater is really necessary in winter time. The air is very wet and hot in summer time but it's very dry and cold in winter time. And you can see very soft snow like a cotton candy in winter seasons of Korea.

So if I visit Korea, I want to visit in spring or in autumn. The weather is very similar to Irish one in spring and in autumn.

Advertisement