Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Broadband Passwords

Options
  • 15-03-2005 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Can I get the password from IOL if I don't pay the bill?

I bought a wireless modem to get rid of all the wires connecting the computers in the house

But the problem is my dads company pays the bill. The IT department was asked for the password they said they wouldn't give it out. I can't dial into the supplied wired modem to get the details cause it's password protected.

Will IOL be nice and give me the username and password?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

admin 1234

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭PhilCurran

Thanks I'll give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

i'm confused - is it the username and password for the modem or your username and password for iol!? Anyhoos if you need the connection details to set up the new modem I could post a screenshot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Phil,

If I were you, I wouldn't get rid of the supplied modem. I would continue to use that one, and just plug it into the wireless AP. No modem you can buy will ever be as good on a particular BB connection as the one supplied by the ISP.

Cheers,
    JP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

JoyPad wrote:
    Phil,

If I were you, I wouldn't get rid of the supplied modem. I would continue to use that one, and just plug it into the wireless AP. No modem you can buy will ever be as good on a particular BB connection as the one supplied by the ISP.

Cheers,
    JP
    I've never EVER heard such rubbish. The modems supplied by IOL are fairly cheap and nasty. Most modems you buy in the shop will be better. Where did you get this information?

• Advertisement

The modems supplied by IOL are fairly cheap and nasty. Most modems you buy in the shop will be better. Where did you get this information?
    From my own experience! I'm on eircom's BB, and the supplied Netopia is absolutely great. Has all the features you would want from a router/firewall.
    However, most of the wirelessAP/DSLmodem combos you can buy these days don't even have SNMP management.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

umm cisco wireless router + firmware linux upgrade = :D

Big P wrote:
    umm cisco wireless router
    The cheapest Aironet will set you back a *good* few hundred yoyos.
    Their cheapest omni antenna costs more than my wireless accesspoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

meh i know cisco are overrated, but my cisco router is perfect and it only cost like 80 brick.

I did a number of security tests on it using kismet, 20,000 packets transferred (over 1.5gigs), picked up 240 crypted packets and 0 weak packets. Considering how many weak packets it takes to actually break the wep im in no danger :) And even doing portscans on me from the wan return very little information. Much better than my zyxel anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭PhilCurran

The supplied router isn't standard afaik it's a Allied Telesyn AT-AR250E Asdl 4 port router
    The wireless kit I got is the Netgear DG834GB. It's top class ASDL modem wireless router and hardware firewall built into one little box
    There's pics of both below

@tk123 it's the username and password for iol I need, a screenshot of the rest of the settings would be great if you could post it Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement