Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Addon wireless modem/router keeps disconnecting

Options
  • 15-03-2005 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

I have a Addon wireless 4 port modem/router (Maplins) connected to UTV broadband in Galway. Recently It keeps disconnecting, sometime during surfing and over night when pc's are not on. It seems to be getting worse. I have all the correct settings in I think. The only setting that does worry me is the "On demand" setting? Does this mean the modem is always connected to UTVinternet? Is the firewall in the modem effecting it? I am at a loose end now and thinking of taking the modem back to maplins.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Have you checked the logs in the Addon wireless 4 port modem/router (Maplins)?

Can you be a bit more specific...

If you connect directly to the UTV box is all ok? Does the UTV box have a nat/firewall configured? Has the wireless box a nat/firewall configured.....

Need more specific info and perhaps what you have tried to rectify the problem....

osmethod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I am at work, I will see if I can get the logs when I get home? The USB modem that came with the service doesn't have a built in firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Same thing happened to me with my Belkin wirelessAP/router/dslmodem. I tried to eliminate the Netopia modem/router (I'm on eircom's BB), but noticed that my modem didn't reconnect after being disc'd.
    However, I found that the Netopia is actually a better tool than my Belkin: better firewall settings, and SNMP management. So I'm only using the Belkin as a wirelessAP.

I also have the OnDemand checkbox in my modem settinga, and this also baffled me. On the Netopia, the current setting is "AlwaysON", which would mean to reconnect as soon as its disc'd, regardless of traffic presence.
    I assumed OnDemand would mean the opposite (re-connect only as needed), so I left the box un-ticked. I think. Truth is, I didn't bother much with the Belkin's modem settings, because in the back of my mind I was already set on going back to Netopia.

Cheers,
    JP

P.S. snaps, can you talk? buzz me and I'll call you back.

Thanks Joypad,
    You have given me an idea, I Have a creative broadband modem that came with the utv broadband. I could use that as the modem and connect that via ethernet cable to the Addon modem/router and use that as the wireless router?

I may give that a go when I get in?

Perhaps I will speak to you later?

Snaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I figured it's always about compatibility.

It is highly probable that the modem they supplied will work best with their connection, maybe because it's identical to the modem they put in your local exchange to BB-enable your line.
    I guess that's why the ISP's provide their own modems: so that they eliminate compatibility issues.

Anyway, don't forget to turn off the DHCP server in your accesspoint, and either assign IPs manually, or use the DHCP server in your modem, if at all.

Cheers,
    JP

• Advertisement

I have re set the modem to its factory default. I have re entered all my account settings and re entered the WEP keys. I have left the on demand box unticked as it was the default setting. It is up and running now so I will see how it goes. If I do use the Creative modem do i just feed the output from that into the LAN port 1 on the other modem/router then distribute to my desktop (LAN 2) and then use the WLAN as normal? Or is it more complicated than that?

Advertisement