Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esat bt's 'free' trial with 'no obligations'

Options
  • 14-03-2005 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Like many I signed up for esat bt's 'free' three month trial. During the third month I rang to tell them I did not want to continue the service and gave my details as to prove my identity. During said phone call I was told I would have to inform esat in writing. I replied that my details were good enough when presented orally for esat when I signed up for the 'free' trial. Also I said that when ordering the trial (which was advertised as having 'no obligations') I did not enter into any agreement with esat either written or verbal and I was also told my a/c no. was needed merely for confirmation. I assumed esat required this information to check the bona fides of their customers as obviously esat bt is a company and as such needs to profit. I have now received a bill for 2 months payment which totals at €245.99 and my account has been debited to that amount. I have rang esat again but to no avail in fact they've informed me that I now have a 12 month contract with them! Any suggestions on how to rectify this situation are very welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

by accpeting the trial you accepted the t&c's of it.

if you didnt read them that doesnt matter as by accpeting the trial you are stating that you have read them.

there is nothing wrong with the situation that your in, other than you thought you could be smart with them.

you live and learn and you now have a 12 month contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

you should of known they'd try this

why didnt you send in the cancel letter in time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Whoever wrote the EsatBB T&C's is an evil genius... my 12 month contract was up months ago and the only reason I'm still on the service is because I can't be arsed writing a letter to them.

Oh the apathy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

jock10
    2 months payment which totals at €245.99

Thats a big bill!!!
    Are you sure thats for 2 months????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ocathais

Um not just doing this to be the devils advocate but I cancelled my esat account near the end of the trial with the notice in writing and had no probs...I was happy enough with them but had decided to go ripwave to save the line rental but had the well documented probs so I went back to Esat found their customer service excellent BTW....I guess its pot luck with all the BB cos by the sound of it guess I've been lucky so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not much you can do mate, its upto you to read the T&C's
    I deal with people from time to time that bitch about not knowing stuff about the contract their in,but when it comes down to it they are free to read it at anytime.

In fairness would you get a loan off a bank without reading the T&C's? :)

As for canceling why did'ent you sent the letter?
    Unless you left that phone call you made till the last day of the trial you could have easily sent a nice registered letter to there cancellations dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They told you on the phone that you need to cancel in writing, but you didn't. I don't think you have any comeback on that one. Anyway, you don't even need to send a letter, you can email your cancellation to customer.care@esatbt.com. That worked for me when I cancelled my last IOLBB with them.

Advertisement