Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hip Hop/Rap Production

Options
  • 14-03-2005 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

what song or artist do you think has the best production/beats in their tunes?

immortal techniques beats are good i like the string samples with hard base lines its tight. A nice contrast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Best producers at the moment are 9th Wonder and Madlib imo.
    RJD2 does some great work too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Eminems production is just pure fire, dude comes up with such intresting varied beats hes a genious. Hell id say hes better than dre hes just that good mayn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

tbh i wouldnt say they are that varied, i can usually recognise his beats before i know they are actually his

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Kristok wrote:
    Eminems production is just pure fire, dude comes up with such intresting varied beats hes a genious. Hell id say hes better than dre hes just that good mayn.

Im presuming thats a joke?

hehe what gave it away ?!?

• Advertisement

Thank god :D You usually have a good opinion, I didn't think you could believe that.

I dont know the more I think about it the more I think I might have been right in the first place :o)

He's alright, pretty good. He has some good stuff and a lot of mediocre stuff. He's certainly not better than dre though!

Na em is rubbish but in saying that dre aint that hot recently either bar one or two exceptions.

The only big name producer putting out consistantly good material these days is kanye. Timbaland is very limited but good at the sound he makes. Neptunes beats are just annoyingly boring and you can so easilly tell its them when you hear them.

Actually id say havoc makes the best beats pitty he only gives them to prodigy and noyd etc cause if he got say 50 or even snoop over a havoc beat id say it would sound good. I read somewhere that he still uses like tape decks or 8tracks or something to do the loops and dosnt like using computer stuff etc to do it cause it dosnt sound the same thats why he takes so long doing them, says allot for him that he puts the time in to keep the sound pure (well as he sees it)

To be honest theres allot of good producers just sometimes they dont get on say a jay z album and you dont hear them that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

eminem has done one or two good beats. he did the beats for nas on cross(still has the "shady/eminem" sound to it) and moment of clarity for jay z which was quite good also. seems he makes good beats for others and not so good ones for himself and the shady camp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Kristok wrote:

Kris - whatever ur smoking, knock it off dude!!!!!

Em a better producer than dre??? You gotta be ****tin me!!!! First, Dre would actually have to produce something.... you seem to forget Dre built Aftermath off the backs of producers like Bud'dah, Chris The Glove & Mel-man.... he was also the first dude to really also bring Scott Storch to the frontline & that dude is hotter than chilli in the Mojave now.... the beat from 'Still D.R.E.' was done by Storch...

My personal preferences for production would be:
    • Battlcat
    • DJ Toonz
    • Darren Vegas
    • Curt 'Kobane' Couthon
    • Big Hutch
    • QD3
    • Devanté Swing
    • Daz Dillinger
    • Soopafly
    • Fredwreck
    • Rick Rock

Suppose it makes a diff I'm a HUGE fan of west coast artists in general, & I prefer those kinda bass-driven beats & production to the more sparse drum-driven east coast or syncopatic southern beats....

::: ven0mous :::

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

RZA. Love some of the **** he comes out with, it's just brillant.

El-P .... sometimes. I didn't like High Water, but the Cold Vein was tight and Fantastic Damage definitley has some excellent moments.

9th Wonder as mentioned, stole the limelight from MURS on 3:16 imho.

ven0m wrote:
    Kris - whatever ur smoking, knock it off dude!!!!!

Em a better producer than dre??? You gotta be ****tin me!!!! First, Dre would actually have to produce something.... you seem to forget Dre built Aftermath off the backs of producers like Bud'dah, Chris The Glove & Mel-man.... he was also the first dude to really also bring Scott Storch to the frontline & that dude is hotter than chilli in the Mojave now.... the beat from 'Still D.R.E.' was done by Storch...

Have you read through the thread? He said he was joking. Anyway, you seem to be mixing up a producer and a beatmaker. They're not the same thing. Dre uses musicians like, for example, scott storch. Dre does the bass lines and over looks the whole process. He adds in effects. You'll find that a lot of producers do this.
    Btw Devante's protege was Timbaland. They say some of Devante's stuff was actually done by Timbaland.

My favourite producers are Just Blaze, Dre and Timbaland. I also like DJ Premier(surprised no ones mentioned him).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

David19 wrote:
    Have you read through the thread? He said he was joking. Anyway, you seem to be mixing up a producer and a beatmaker. They're not the same thing. Dre uses musicians like, for example, scott storch. Dre does the bass lines and over looks the whole process. He adds in effects. You'll find that a lot of producers do this.
    Btw Devante's protege was Timbaland. They say some of Devante's stuff was actually done by Timbaland.

My favourite producers are Just Blaze, Dre and Timbaland. I also like DJ Premier(surprised no ones mentioned him).

I know Kris was kidding - I happen to know Kris personally & was taking the piss - LOL..... ;)

As for the lines between beatmaker & producer, I think they've become more & more blurred over the years, but Dre has taken alot of credit for stuff he never even hada hand in during the early days of Death Row when he was taking props for Daz Dillinger's work.

I know the 'rumours' about Devante & Timbaland, but there's a fair amount of material around that has Devante's hand on it & there's no way it was Tim's work - but in saying that, there's some of his work that I have often wondered whether Tim really did it or not....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

lololololololololol

ven0m wrote:
    I know Kris was kidding - I happen to know Kris personally & was taking the piss - LOL..... ;)

As for the lines between beatmaker & producer, I think they've become more & more blurred over the years, but Dre has taken alot of credit for stuff he never even hada hand in during the early days of Death Row when he was taking props for Daz Dillinger's work.

I know the 'rumours' about Devante & Timbaland, but there's a fair amount of material around that has Devante's hand on it & there's no way it was Tim's work - but in saying that, there's some of his work that I have often wondered whether Tim really did it or not....

Ah ok, fair enough then :)

They have become more blurred but its still pretty well defined. Dre has always said he works with a team of musicians. He doesn't hide it, they're in the credits of his songs.
    I heard about that death row stuff. In my opionion he's still the best and most influential producer in hip hop. I don't think your giving him enough credit. If he didn't really do anything he'd have been quickly found out. Those people he works with would just do their own stuff and cut him out. I remember reading an article a few years ago about a few people who worked with dre. They were saying they did all this work for him on the 50 cent album without getting credit. They left and set up their own production company. I haven't heard anything about them since. If they were that good surely they'd be big names now. I think they were missing someone ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

Rza, Mf Doom, Madlib, 9th Wonder, Alchemist....and of course, DJ premier, who I can't believe hasn't been mentioned yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

Madlib
    Shadow
    EL-P
    Premo
    Dre

Advertisement