Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternative to plastering

Options
  • 14-03-2005 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hello there

Myself and my husband were removing some wallpaper from a room in our house - house is about 80 yrs old - and a large quantity of the plaster came off the wall with the paper. We decided to scrape the remaining stuff off and are now down to a bare wall.

We would not for a second think that we could do the job of a plasterer and as money is fairly tight I was wondering if there was an alternative to getting a plasterer in.

If we used plasterboard, can this be glued onto the wall or should it be nailed onto wooden lats? If we used plasterboard does this mean we can't hang pictures/mirrors on the wall?

Is there any other alternative (that doesn't cost loads)?

thanks for your help

Jennifer

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

jennyrusks wrote:
    Hello there

Myself and my husband were removing some wallpaper from a room in our house - house is about 80 yrs old - and a large quantity of the plaster came off the wall with the paper. We decided to scrape the remaining stuff off and are now down to a bare wall.

We would not for a second think that we could do the job of a plasterer and as money is fairly tight I was wondering if there was an alternative to getting a plasterer in.

If we used plasterboard, can this be glued onto the wall or should it be nailed onto wooden lats?

I have not heard of 'sticky back' plasterboard so you may have to put lats on first then probably screw on the plasterboard, better holding with a screw and less chances of plaster popping out

If we used plasterboard does this mean we can't hang pictures/mirrors on the wall?

Not at all, you can get rawl plugs specifically for plasterboard, they have wings on the back of them that when you turn the screw into the rawl plug the wings expand at the back of the rawl plug and grip the plasterboard

Not sure, don't think there is

thanks for your help

Jennifer

If we used plasterboard, can this be glued onto the wall or should it be nailed onto wooden lats?

I have not heard of 'sticky back' plasterboard so you may have to put lats on first then probably screw on the plasterboard, better holding with a screw and less chances of plaster popping out

If we used plasterboard does this mean we can't hang pictures/mirrors on the wall?

Not at all, you can get rawl plugs specifically for plasterboard, they have wings on the back of them that when you turn the screw into the rawl plug the wings expand at the back of the rawl plug and grip the plasterboard

Not sure, don't think there is

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

Hi jennyrusks,

one solution is to basically glue plaster board sheeting to the wall using gypsum adhesive....idea for this job and it will never move.

forget about fixings such as using screws or anything else.....

You can then either fill the joints and paint or skim finish and paint, either or

price would be in the region of €35 per m2 for the small area your talking about.

if this is a stone wall you can consider using insulated backed plasterboard....say 25mm thick, its a great job

regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

If money is really tight you could go for a textured finish on the walls such as artex or a brand of textured paint.
    But before going down that route you need to seal the bare stone/block/render that the original lime plaster was adhering to...something like PVA bonding or a similar sealer would work.
    Then you apply the artex (stipple brush) or textured paint (large paintbrush): a messy job but not necessarily a highly skilled one. While the results aren't to everyone's tastes they can look good with a little time spent and can be coloured with a top layer of paint. I've even seen artex stipple finish sanded back to make a "stucco" effect; very effective.

Alternatively you could seal the walls as above and hang a heavy paper such as SuperFresco which will hide most all of the uneveness of the rendering.

The other posters' suggestions above are a better move in the long run but they will cost you a good bit more I reckon...it really depends on personal tatse, and how much you're into the DIY end of things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 drydasher@hotma

this is free professional advice from me ,forget rawlplugs if your going into an old wall first polybond it, it seals the wall up then go out and get a few bags of bonding compound adheisive plaster for sticking plaster boards ,if it is an external wall i would use thermocheck lining insulation boards these are plaster boards .then u could use half inch plaster boards on internal walls these a 4 to 5 times cheaper but have no insulation ,depending on your budget ,then measure the sise of your wall and cut your slabs too suit ,then mix your compound too apply to the wall put 3 daps of plaster in a line down the wall every 16 inches across the wall to catch the sides of every slab then get a level and a 5 foot straight edge piece of 3x1 and tap your boards level on the wall with your straight edge up and across the wall gently then if you like mail me on drydash@hotmail. com for further advise ..free of coarse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

hi there drydasher... I need some advice aswell could you pm me your number ...you seem to know what your taking about....

• Advertisement
Advertisement