Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nuns,preists,cristian brothers

Options
  • 14-03-2005 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

with in the last few years it is come to light about the abuse in state run schools and what preists mere doing to alter boys after sunday mass
    what i like to know is where was child social workers then or the charitys like childline and the such why has it taken so long for people to hear about the local parish preist and the rest, if you hav views on this please post them
    i mould greatly welcom other peoples opinion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Xterminator

<sigh>Troll</sigh>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

<sigh>Troll</sigh>
    seems like a legitimate question to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

termanator wrote:
    what i like to know is where was child social workers then or the charitys like childline and the such
    They didn't exist, or the ones that were around the abuse wasn't reported to them.
    termanator wrote:
    why has it taken so long for people to hear about the local parish preist and the rest,

The children didn't report it, when they did report it they were ignored and when adults eventually did something all they did was report it to the church, which was not very helpful to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The church pretty much ran Ireland back in those days. When an ignorant population believes everything the local priest tells them, there's always going to be abuses of power, particularly when in the eyes of the poor eejit that's being abused, his abuser holds the power to damn him to hell for all eternity.

We were a very backward country only 20 /30 years ago, some would argue that we still are. Thankfully, the powers of church and state have seperated somewhat over the last twenty years (and still not to enough of an extent for me, see this coming friday for example).

When you remember that anyone in the church's service was held to be an extremely powerful figure in their local community it's no wonder that their victims didn't come forward. In many cases no-one would have believed them if they had and in others, there simply wouldn't have been anything a concerned parent/guardian could have done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are over-simplfying the matter into "nuns,preists,cristian brothers".

As to where the child social workers were? They were too few, overworked and stuck in a system that was complicit with abuse. If you ran away from abuse, whether familial, social or institutionalised, you were sent back. Complaints went unheard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

God, I love being a priest. We're all going to heaven lads, wheeeyyyyyy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement