Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick needs more

Options
  • 13-03-2005 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

What limerick needs is a play ground on every available space in under-priviledged, and also through the suburbs.

We also need a city skate park, a really good one!

The Raheen / Dooradoyle area needs an arcade, at least similar to the one on the ennis road!

I believe somewhere in the city there needs to be an espn zone type set up where theres a great interactive sports arcade with a sports bar ... that would be great in this a nation of drinkers... i hate seeing lil' kids being bored while daddy watches the match!

A cycling park somewhere within 25 minutes drive of the city... charrachase is too far out, and dosent have much cycling availability anyway!

Other things like go karting near the city etc. the councells should be trying to get these things opened in the city, to stop anti - social behavior!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Have you ever thought that these facilities aren't available because they're not commercially viable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

But it would hopefully cut back on gardaí expenses, medical expenses and a little out there but it would cut back to people signing onto the dole!

Besides these facilities are exactly wild, Dublin, Cork and to a lesser extent Galway have these facilites!

Sorry but to add onto that list, basketball courts in residental areas such as that one in Raheen, but with baskets!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Metallicababe

men :D

What do u mean???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Whether they are financially viable or not, I think recreational facilities are far more beneficial in the long run than another housing estate with no facilities that might be financially beneficial for it's investors, but benefits no one else. I think a permanent ice rink, perhaps in Moyross, wouldn't be a bad idea either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ShaneyMac

I agree totally - more playgrounds and amenities for kids. The Peoples Park has a great playground, but the park on the Dublin road (beside Dawn daries - don't know the name) has had it's playground diminished in recent years. There a large area, but very little equipment - it's shamefull.

Another good step would be to remove the railings around Arthur's Quay park to open it up more so it's less attractive for people to gather there drinking etc - this would mean more people would be happy to use the park and it would certainly open up the views over the Shannon. You could even put a small playground in it too - for when kids are in town with their parents.

The City now has no Cinema in town - you have to go to the Crescent or soon to Castletroy - this is shamefull also......

Just my tuppence worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

gaf1983 wrote:
    I think a permanent ice rink, perhaps in Moyross, wouldn't be a bad idea either

I can't see this happening at all. First off premiums would be huge, secondly it wouldn't be available to the whole of Limerick as who is going to go to moyross park their car and skate for an hour without worrying about their safety or the safety of their car. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is the case, but this is the image that people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

obviously they havent got the money for all of them but they could get a few, it would help the city lose its bad rep

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

gaf1983 wrote:
    Whether they are financially viable or not, I think recreational facilities are far more beneficial in the long run than another housing estate with no facilities that might be financially beneficial for it's investors, but benefits no one else. I think a permanent ice rink, perhaps in Moyross, wouldn't be a bad idea either

Erm, the Ice rink is a brilliant idea, being an ex-speed skater with nowhere to train in limerick sucks ass.
    However...Moyross? While the land may be cheap... I can just imagine scumbags skating over to me asking for protection money.

The UL would be a place where they could do it!!!
    or has any council have the ablity to develop on University grounds???

I believe it could generate large revenue, if they'r was seating aroundm they could stage 'on ice' shows easily and also figure skating etc., and Limerick or UL could develop a Ice Hockey team!!!

I would protest building in an area such as Moyross (e.g. any area that is responsibe for the entire limerick having a bad name)!

But such a venture would not be as nessisary as the ficilty's i have mentioned above!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

moyross has gone pretty quiet now. anything you hear coming out of moyross of lat has been related to feuds which have their roots on the island. the CCTV system has quietened things down out there

the trouble areas nowadays would be weston and southhill, and even at that its only certain families responsible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭strettie

all the cctv system in Moyross has done has pushed them into the surrounding areas where there is no CCTV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya... its not fueding families i am worried about!!!

Its teengers with nothing better to do! That would be one of the reasons i believe UL would be a great place, its a walk from any housing estates and all you have to worry about are drunken students!!

I have now posted 100 posts on Boards.ie, most of which are on the Limerick Board!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Ya... its not fueding families i am worried about!!!

Its teengers with nothing better to do! That would be one of the reasons i believe UL would be a great place, its a walk from any housing estates and all you have to worry about are drunken students!!

I have now posted 100 posts on Boards.ie, most of which are on the Limerick Board!!!!!

Agreed, its the scumbags in hoodies that are causing all this ****e.

Bring on the ASBO's stat.

Whats ASBO stats???

It now looks like the city will be getting a skate park!
    But on the Limerick Today show on live 95fm a counceller said about the size of a tennis cout would be more than enough!!

That means in truth about half a tennis court???
    I thought we'd get a full size park, but anything is good!

What do ye think of this advancment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

anything would do if it were to stop people using the seats and paved area around tates clock as a skate park.

I haven't seen skaters up there since they put little slits in along the former seating and they put those metal seats!

ShaneyMac wrote:
    Another good step would be to remove the railings around Arthur's Quay park to open it up more so it's less attractive for people to gather there drinking etc - this would mean more people would be happy to use the park and it would certainly open up the views over the Shannon.

I think Limerick needs a plaza! All we have is Bakers Place and that is tiny (espically with the clock)!

Arthurs Quey would be a brilliant place to have a plaza, if there was a fountain and just an open space with nice benches and the view of the sea!

Plaza's also can become themed seasonally, I was in Chicago and for Halloween they have a festival called 'Chicago-ween' which was really good!
    Not like the sorry excuses of festivals here, but one of the small things they did was in some of the plaza's they the place all halloweened! (people teaching how to do pumkins, facepainters, little houses of horror, and in one or two cases they had died the water orange!

In those houses of horror they had the lights blacked out and they told stories and passed around 'eyeballs' and 'worms' and stuff!

Everything was just there as you where walking along!)

But Limrick could really benefit if they had an area where they could do different things or whatever! And for most of the time the plaza would just be unocuppied so people could do as they pleased quietly!

Advertisement