Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgrading your NTL?

Options
  • 13-03-2005 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Anyone downgrade their NTL? Notice much of a difference? I'm on 1.5 but don't use it enough anymore. Thinking of going to the cheapest option.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

After the free period I went down from 1.5 to 300 and I get 31kbps on average, suits me fine for what I use it for, if I download anything large like 700 Mbp or more I just leave it on over nite. Usually whatever ur speed is u get 10% so 300Kbps would be 30kbps which is what i get, 750Kbps would be 75kbps etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I don't do much dowloading. Just mainly browsing and email etc. The odd demo, patches and updates. Thats about it. You notice any difference looking at streaming videos, music etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

I downgraded after the last upgrade from 600k to the 300k package. I use it mainly for browsing/email and d/l'ing the odd mp3. For 25 euros /month I think its fine. Usually get around 250kbps-270kbps per mcafee's speedometer and only significant difference between 600k and 300k for my type of usuage is that a web page lags for 1/2 a second or so if its a heavy web page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Colly - Forgive me, but you seem to have gone out of your way to confuse there ;)

Kb - kilobits
    KB - kilobytes
    So @ 150kb you're getting 15KB, etc :) (based on your figures)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Colly wrote:
    Usually whatever ur speed is u get 10% so 300Kbps would be 30kbps which is what i get, 750Kbps would be 75kbps etc

There are 8 bits in an octet (normally a byte is an octet).
    750kbps = 750/8 kBps = 93.75kBps
    In praactice you'll get around 89kBps

causal

• Advertisement
Advertisement