Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl, 11 character serial number ?

Options
  • 11-03-2005 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

First, please enter your 11 character serial number which you will find on your CD ROM sleeve or on your welcome letter.

what the hell ? i dont have a cds, is it a unique cd number ? i only have a driver cd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Who or what is asking for this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well im in my friends house his basic setup is cable modem connected to some external harddrive/router and the net works that way , although bittorrent, pings on games = bad !

so i tryed connecting it directly to his pc but i get local area connection error, he doesnt seem to have the installation cd [only usb drivers]

so i went on to ntl.ie and tryed to reinstall / re- reg ?
    https://autoreg.autoregister.net/~autoreg/cgi-bin/AutoReg/cgi-bin/cable_ie

and it asks for that serial !? hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭daymobrew

external harddrive/router
    Two VERY different things. Which is it?

When you change which device the cable modem is connected to you have to switch the modem off for 30 secs.
    - Switch off modem
    - Connect to new device
    - Switch on modem
    The modem will now note the MAC address of the new device and work away.

When my ntl bb was installed the guy created a text file with info, one of them was a long number he used during a registration with their page.
    although bittorrent, pings on games = bad !
    Pings have been bad for a few people, especially in Dublin 15. The problem may not be just you. Contact ntl support and report the ping numbers. Email ping logs to customer.support@ntl.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

There was another post back a while ago by someone who said that the Dublin 15 area was heavily subscribed. Might explain the bad pings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

harddrive = router?

why are you "helping" him if you have no clue?

forward the ports on the router,
    what connections does the ntl modem use? usb / ethernet

if theres "only" usb drivers then think about it...
    if theres "ethernet" you dont need drivers

if he had an ethernet modem running to a router it might be set in bridge mode

details, and lots of them please...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well, it is an external harddrive ! and its connects the pc via ethernet ! It also has a firewall built in !#
    Modem is connected to that. Il try switching modem off for 30 sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

lets start small here....

how is the modem connected to the pc?
    remove everything else from the setup and work on getting this basic part right.

do you have a link or model number for this hdd/fw so i can find out how to set it up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Placebo wrote:
    well, it is an external harddrive ! and its connects the pc via ethernet ! It also has a firewall built in !#
    Modem is connected to that. Il try switching modem off for 30 sec.

That sounds like a router. NOT a harddrive. Get the whole harddrive thing out of your head.

What does the router say on the front. Is there a model number?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

i think (from when i had dialup with ntl) that it's a registration serial no
    just rooted the old dialup cd out & it has ntl-cl2-als66 on it

asked a mate in ntl + they said to try ntl-cl2-cb484 (they also think you are registering for ntl email / webspace but the installer should have done this for you????)

if not give them a call - tell them what the page is & they should know the serial

I cannot access it cos it here so poss restricted to ntl ip addresses?
    [font=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica][font=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica] Your browser has issued a request that the registration server has denied.
    Please contact ntl customer support if the problem persists.
    [/font][/font]

Advertisement