Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on Accommodation....

Options
  • 11-03-2005 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

hey there..
    iv got the joys of doing my leaving cert this yr and was wondering if i do go to UL where is the best place with regards to accommodation?
    should i stay on campus or get a house?
    none of my friends will be going to limerick so getting a house with them is obviously out of the question. should i move into a house with strangers...if so how would i go about organising it?
    or which of the UL campus accommodations would ye recommend ..?

ne suggestions welcome!
    thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

I would recommend on-campus accommodation. As there is a village manager and campus security patrols in all of the villages you are safer and less likely to be interrupted by noises like the tv being thrown through the window and the furniture being burned than if you get a house and don't know who you're living with who think they're above the law :)

I live in Plassey (if you hadn't already guessed) - its the cheapest of the 4 on-campus places but there's really nothing wrong with it. I could afford to move to Kilmurry (2nd cheapest) but I don't see the point in spending a few hundred euro for a small increase in comfort. If you can afford Dromroe (3rd in line!) go for it because its very comfortable - double bed and ensuite bathroom - and is the closest to campus. Thomond is the most expensive but I see no point in going there as Dromroe is cheaper, is similarly comfortable, and considerably closer to college.

Get in touch with one of the village managers ASAP - there's a lot of demand for places among first years and many will have already put down deposits on the open days.

What course are you going for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

the tv being thrown through the window and the furniture being burned
    sounds lik craic dont ya think! :D

dont know what course i want to do yet! when i do choose a course and can do it in UCC well obviously il do it there...tho what courses i wud b interested in that UL offers would be...P.E teaching/Sport Science/physio.

ya will send of deposit ASAP as even if i wont end up goin there then il get deposit back minus a charge which is great!
    If you can afford Dromroe (3rd in line!) go for it
    so you'd be reccomending Dromore then...well my parents shall be paying so id say i can afford it alrit..(parents, come in handy for something ay!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

I wouldn't be so quick to say you'll go to UCC if you can if there's a similar course to the ones in UL you're interested in - keep your mind open! I'm from West Cork and had a similar idea about CIT - I'm doing Mechanical Engineering and couldn't see the point in going to UL when I could do the same course in CIT... but the open days of both establishments changed that. Mech isn't offered in UCC but if it was, I'd still have gone to UL for it.

If you're interested in sports science and PE then there shouldn't be any competition against UL - its probably the best college around for sports subjects. The National Training Something Or Other Important (eh, sorry, don't know much about the facility) is based in UL and the University Arena is probably the best sports complex any Irish college has.

Yeah I'd reccommend Dromroe if your parents don't mind paying the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dont rule out Groody or Brookfield. Theyre the cheapest, put theyre not on-campus. At €60 p/w, theyre pretty nice. A 25-min walk to college, but theres an hourly (i think) bus that runs to the college between 8:30 and 18:30 (i think), but its location is far from the college and shops.

You could risk moving into a house with strangers (risky, but i did it and it was grand) if money is an issue, since there is a massive surplus in houses, so rent is pretty cheap. I know of people paying €35 p/w in places that are 10 mins from college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

if im not mistaken i believe that ul are guaranteeing all 1st years accommodation on campus for next year if they want it,as for the campus villages,although i initially was going to live in plassey but missed out on a place,the only option left was thomond which is fabulous but as already said is far enough away,however when the new campus opens next year or the year after thomond and the other new village will be in the middle of things.so i go also with previous recommendation of dromroe.

• Advertisement

if im not mistaken i believe that ul are guaranteeing all 1st years accommodation on campus for next year if they want it
    yep if u get your deposit in before march 31st..

iv no problem moving into a house with strangers..lik i love meeting new people and what not.. but its just the risk of it as you dont know wa type of person they are..they mite not be all that they seem..etc..

dont suppose any of ye would know anything about accommodation for Mary I?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

the only option left was thomond which is fabulous but as already said is far enough away
    I suppose I should know but where is that? Across the river?
    Fast_Mover wrote:
    dont suppose any of ye would know anything about accommodation for Mary I?
    In town. There's a more complicated answer that someone else can probably give (I'm sure they've some designated blocks out there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

yes you *should* know Shay :p

I'm beginning to wonder if you sleep at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I lived in plassey in first year and I've been in Dromroe for the last 3 years.

If you can afford it I'd say go for Dromroe over Plassey or Kilmurray.
    Its a bit of a pain in the arse walking out to Plassey, i.e. arriving in college to realise you forgot something you need and having to walk and forward to grab it. I can get up at 8.45 and be in a 9 am lecture on time.

I'd suggest Dromroe over Kilmurray as its really handy having your own jacks and shower and not having to share it with 4 other people as in Plassey/Kilmurray. Pain in the ass trying to beat the shower queue in the morning otherwise.

Thomund is that bit nicer then Dromroe but I don't think its worth the extra cost/distance.

As to the security on campus I've been walking around this play at all times of the night for 4 years now and I've yet to even see a dodgy looking person. I guess I've been lucky but I think there are a lot of scare stories/bull**** rumours put out about how dangerous the college is.

Only thing I'd say against living on campus is that you're fairly far away from any food joints at night. Nearly all of the restaurants/shops close down after 6 pm and you're only left with the student's union shop which has basically the same grub as a Spar. Its a fair auld walk to either the Parkway or Superquinn so that might be something worth considering.

Dromroe village:
    6bed apartment=3696
    2bed apartment=4380

thomond village:
    6bed apartment=3746
    4bed apartment=3860

wud ye be more inclining to say go for the 2bed or 6bed apartment? 2bed is expensive, granting i know more room etc etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Hey Fast_Mover,

Unless you have a family or are someone important like a lecturer you will not get either the 4 or 2 bedroom house. They are reserved for families and that.

Dromroe and Thomond are nice. Living in Thomond myself. Not a very house admosphere to them though as people tend to spend an awful lot of time in their own rooms. That might just be my situation but I have heard the same said by other people.

I would diffinately suggest you move into oncampus accomodation for 1st year as they tend to accomodate first years together. This is great as ye are all starting off on the same foot, so to speak.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

if im not mistaken i believe that ul are guaranteeing all 1st years accommodation on campus for next year.
    they'd be screwed then if every first year applied!!

im living in dromroe and its so handy! i do computer systems and we have our own building which is a 3 minute walk from dromroe. also, the shop in dromroe does the best hot chicken rolls. always a bonus! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 redalert2

Drumroe is a complete rip-off.

Live in brookfield! it's newer and nicer accomodation!
    And there's a free bus service and night-link in evenings, you'll never have to walk.

Or you could move into a house-might be better if you want to get to know a few people. Brierfield/Curragh Birin have nicest houses. Bit of a walk though. Maybe Milford Grange if you want somewhere near college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Umm, redalert2, brookfield is even further walk away than Briarfiled or Curragh Birin. How regular is that bus service you are talking about?

I'd advise you to stay away from brookfield. A few people I know are living there and they are having problems with management because they won't fix things that are wrong with the building. One set says its one persons responsibility and other is saying it's another's responsibility, so things aren't getting fixed. Also in brookfield electricity has to be paid by cards. Stay well away from them if you ask me, too much hassle and very far away from things like bus stops.

College Court have some nice houses. 5mins from college.
    Dromroe, nice appartments and close to everything.
    Thomond, brand new, very far away from any major shopping centres.
    Plassey, good location and resonably priced.
    Kilmurray, good location, right beside sports areana, 5mins to college.
    Elm park, cardboard city, freezing during the winter, very cheap and close to everything.
    Briarfield, some nice houses, fairly resonable, 20mins walk to college.
    Milford Grange, some nice houses, fairly resonable, 15mins walk to college.

That covers quite a few of the areas that have accomodation for students but if I was you I would look to stay on campus.

A.

ok so, when i'l fill out my application form il put Dromroe as my first preference..
    what wud ye put as yer 2,3 and 4 choices?

thanks for all yer help so far, ye'r great! :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

b3t4 wrote:
    A few people I know are living there and they are having problems with management because they won't fix things that are wrong with the building.

Been living in Brookfield since it opened and its fine - nice apartments and internet....mod cons............... Management changed during the summer so ya a bit of a droppped ball there. But i know the new management and had two probs and they were fine, just dont go down there like a screaming little bit*h it doesnt help.

best advice i can give is go up and get all the prices from the differnt places & see the facilities of each ............access to college, distance and the price and weigh them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

they'd be screwed then if every first year applied!!

im living in dromroe and its so handy! i do computer systems and we have our own building which is a 3 minute walk from dromroe. also, the shop in dromroe does the best hot chicken rolls. always a bonus! :D[/QUOTE

hate to diverge away from the topic at hand but i have to reply to this,the shop in dromroe is a complete no-no in terms of food made there everyone in my flat as well as several others have seen for themselves their,how shall we say,loose attitude to food hygiene there in food preperation for items like hot chicken rolls,never ever will i buy prepared foods there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 semisleeping

I'd have to vote dromroe also, I've lived here since first year bar one semester when they wouldn't let me in because Jane hates me. Anyway, the pluses to Dromroe are there are no bills to fight over, you have a nice big double bed, internet access and your own bathroom. It's always warm and BEST OF ALL, bin bags are included!
    Also, It's the handiest campus really, as people have already said. I think for a first year who knows no-one campus is a good idea so at least if you get stuck with a shower of **** (highly likely unfortunately)for housemates (erasmus and americans included) you have your own space.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Lived in Brookfield last year. Twas grand, had a great laugh. Once the net was sorted it was grand. Buying electricity cards is a b**** but, meh.

Bus every 20 mins twas grand, only really a problem when you wanted to go to the pub (2 or 3 times a week if you were like us) and it was a bit of a pita to walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

On Campus is probably the best bet to go for, Plassey is a great place to live and isn't too expensive, it has available broadband (like all the college places), cable and as the lads there said, security guards.

Groody is also a good place to go, i live there this year, and its only €65 a week, i got a giant room with a double bed, FREE BORADBAND and cable with Sky Sports, yay. The only problem with Groody is that since it isnt on campus, the security is a bit lax and it gets a bit loud at night, but for a 1st year, that isnt really a problem since you'll probably be joining in on those parties, though it does take 20 minutes to walk into college, or you can get the Castletroy Bus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

Fast_Mover wrote:
    Dromroe village:
    6bed apartment=3696
    2bed apartment=4380

thomond village:
    6bed apartment=3746
    4bed apartment=3860

wud ye be more inclining to say go for the 2bed or 6bed apartment? 2bed is expensive, granting i know more room etc etc..

Thomond is evil, it costs more than Dromroe, is further away from the college and isn't even as nice as Dromroe

well i sent off application form..jst numbered Dromroe as my first preference, didnt bother marking nething else, they can contact me if Dromroe is booked out and il take it from there regards my next choice.. :)

Advertisement