Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reverse phone lookups

Options
  • 11-03-2005 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭

anyone know any way of doin a reverse phone lookup?
    thanks,
    Eoghan.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

afaik its against the law....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭accensi0n

wow, that sucks. anyway if anyone knows of any way pm or send mail to cull@chules.net

Ive read before that they have reverse phone books in library's in the states. I'd love if it was like that in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What exactly is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

using a phone number to find an address correct?

yeah

• Advertisement

and i second agent smith's afaik

what you whan it for

Stalking or something are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

yes it definitely is against the law. the only ones with reverse directories in this country are the guards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what is ENUM then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

skywalker wrote:
    the only ones with reverse directories in this country are the guards.

in other words... befriend a member of the gardai rather sharpish

• Advertisement

I'm sorted then. :)

Thanks for the replies.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

or you could just browse through the entire phone book to find the number :) There's a job for someone. Scan in all the Irish phone books to a DB and then you could create your own reverse phone number lookup system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Some guys did this in the UK I think. The UK Infodisc or something like that. They sell it on CD. I read that what they did was get hire a bunch of people to go through phone books and the voters registry and make a database of everyone in the UK. You can then search this by various headings such as name, postcode, and possibly phone number.

Initially they came up against trouble with the law who said it was illegal, but all the information they used is publicly available to anyone under freedom of info act.

It's a good idea and a pity there isn't something like that here in Ireland too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

In Switzerland you can do it. See http://tel.search.ch/

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

Eircom used to have the phone book on CD.
    I dont know if they still have this, but we had a hacked version of it where i worked a few years ago. You could look up names and addresses to go with phone numbers.

Try googling the number. You never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Reverse phone lookup is not against the law. If you call the Eircom operator (dial 10 on a land line) they will look up the number for you. They often ask for a reason though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

rubensni wrote: »
    Reverse phone lookup is not against the law. If you call the Eircom operator (dial 10 on a land line) they will look up the number for you. They often ask for a reason though.

Wow dragging up a 4 year old thread...overall not a good idea

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    what is ENUM then ?

ENUM is TElephone Number Mapping.

In very brief summary it the creation of the telephone number in the DNS.

So it your telephone number was +353-1-666-1111 the ENUM URI would be:

1.1.1.1.6.6.6.1.3.5.3.e164.arpa. In Ireland the ENUM delegation is owned by IENUM under contract from ComReg it is an IEDR and Austrian ENUM operations Joint Venture.

ENUM has a number of pretty nifty uses but we don't yet have applications which are enabled to allow users set their communications profile preference. So in effect on dialing the number if over IP the URI tells the caller what preference the ENUM users wants to be contacted over in priority e.g., SMS, Presence, Voice, SIP etc.

I don't believe this is what the OP was asking about.

Tom

Note: That number I picked as an example, and ENUM can be RevDNS looked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

bealtine wrote: »
    Wow dragging up a 4 year old thread...overall not a good idea

And why isn't it a good Idea? It's still relevant.
    If you search reverse phone number on Google Ireland this thread shows up, but the information is wrong. People might find it useful, which I believe was the original idea behind the web in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Just to tidy up the thread, before locking. For ex-directory number holders, they have a right to privacy which is, I believe, covered by legislation. For eircom (or any operator) to reveal those details would be against that legislation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement