Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking 2 BB services together

Options
  • 10-03-2005 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

Just a question, I have IOL BB plus and i also have IBB's ripwave aswell, both services have speeds of 450kbps, is it possible to link these two services together for example on a router to get upto 1mbit.
    Just wondering. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

I dont think its possible to links the 2 i/p lines to create a single comms line as in a RAID 1 config im afraid unless you have access to some very expensive equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dan2002

Just a question, I have IOL BB plus and i also have IBB's ripwave aswell, both services have speeds of 450kbps, is it possible to link these two services together for example on a router to get upto 1mbit.
    Just wondering. :confused:

lol, i had this creative idea before as well. trying to connesct my IBB Breeze with IOLBB plus. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ah well just an idea, but is it possible to have them connected to a single network, so for eg: if a laptop was using one service while another one tries to connect to the same service is there such a device that will connect to the second ISP, or is this more exspensive equipment, BTW the laptops would be going through WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

No, it's not possible. The closest you can come is routing different types of traffic over one or the other connection (eg. routing game traffic over one and everything else over the other to keep latency down). That's no easy task either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

If you fancy a bit of linux hacking, have a look at the LARTC Howto, specifically this chapter. You could put this together on an oldish PC with 3 network cards. I haven't tried this myself, mainly because I only have one net connection.

• Advertisement

thanks folks for the info. it was really an idea and if it was simple i would of tried it.
    me hopes IOL make there speeds faster, like whats been discussed on the other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Take a look at sygate office network. Afaik it does exactly what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I was interested in doing this also whne I had both dsl and ntl cable and also thought it was not possible. However I since came across a router that will load balance over two WAN lines - I think it might have been a draytek with options to determine which traffic and what percentage to split over them. I'll see if I can locate which model it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

nope not the draytek - it is an edimax - read review in a magazine - very good.

http://www.edimax.com/html/english/products/BR-6524k.htm

Sounds very interesting, do you know of any suppliers here that have that model or similar equipment of the same nature.
    $200 not bad when converted to euros about €130

• Advertisement
Advertisement