Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automation of file updating

Options
  • 12-06-2000 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Does any one know a tool for win32 similar to rsync. which will allow me to update web site
    locally and then only upload what has been added or changed since the last synchronization?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

emmm,

how about:

a script (as basic as a batch file) that reads reads the contents of a folder. If there is anything there, it will call up your FTP program and upload it to your host.
    Then it opens a text file (say index.html) adds a links to the bottom of the page with the name and time of the new file. Uploads that to the host, and overwrites the un-modified version. Then moves the new document from your 'to-be-uploaded' folder to an archive folder for personal reference later.

We used to do something similar in work for posting to the intranet when an update went successful overnight (if the post said something went wrong, then the asian and american office knew not to use it). Saved us a lot of time correcting the mistakes they made with bad data smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

I know dreamweaver3 has a site management feature which does all of that stuff and supports "source control" kinda.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ya, if you create templates in Dreamweaver 3, and update the template file, it'll change all the pages you've created based on the template.

Apart from that, the script seems like a good idea.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

Advertisement