Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Explorer 5.5 (Preview) Problem

Options
  • 30-05-2000 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks... don't know why I asked in comp.infosystems.www.browsers.ms-windows before asking here, but hey... here it is...

Does anyone know if it's possible to uninstall Internet Explorer 5.5 safely? I only installed the bloody thing for the print preview option but it's caused more problems than its worth on my system, taking over more of Explorer than I'd like, putting it's own menus into folder windows (i.e.: can't do File>New>Text Document for example) - although thankfully *that* only happens at random...

ideas anyone? - I'd rather go for a full un-install at this stage and go back down to 5.0

system is Windows 98 SE, plenty of memory and HD space, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

I had major probs and had to reinstall '98.
    Fcsk'd my system..pretended to roll back to 5.01(?) but was lying frown.gif and wouldn't let me uninstall any further or install on top again.

System got really (more)unstable/unusable
    before reinstall. Moved to Win2000 now and is a joy smile.gif But don't install IE5.5 as if you try and roll back you HAVE to reinstall win20000 as there's a bug.

[lph]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

gotcha

in that case, I may just go to win2K (can get my hands on it easily)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

strange that working grand for me..
    installed every update on windows.update before installing it though ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yes, that's the problem with such tight integration.
    Most IE installs will 'update' windows system files, and if the rest of your system doesn't like the newer versions, you'll have problems.
    A neat tool you could use is the system-file-checker (sfc.exe - win98), and replace alterd system files with the CD originals.
    It's hard to know exactly which files were changed from the installation, but afaik you could do the job by checking the file dates.
    Then try reinstalling IE5.0

Something to think about if you don't want to reformat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

got it sorted and I'll tell you how... used IERadicator to totally nuke IE from the machine and then just re-installed IE5.0. In the Help>About it still thinks its v.5.5 but I'm pretty sure it's wrong wink.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement