Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with DHTML please...

Options
  • 25-05-2000 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Higuys..
    Wondered if someone could have a look at something I'm working on..
    It works fine in Netscape 4.6 but not at all in IE5..

Methinks it's the java scroller but I'm probably totally wrong...
    I'm stumped anyways....
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

http://dynamictest.ipfox.com

‡PJ‡

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

yeah- how about next time not ripping off the DHTML Guru's code and graphics ?...

those pages are meant to be tutorials, not a basis for writing a site of your own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭PJ Hunt

How would I learn from it??
    Sit and look at it?

I'm tryin to get it up and running on my webspace to see if I can get it working....

I don't have the first clue how the thing works...hence the question

But obviously the people here are of the old school of web design... i.e.
    "Keep what we know secret in case anyone takes our job"

Ya I browse to sites where the webmasters are kind enough to allow guys like me, who want to learn, download their code to practise and learn on..

I've downloaded many a template..got em up and working..learned from em and taken em down..

Notice the cheapo free URL redirect...

Anyway I see I've come to the wrong place..

Thanks for nutin...

‡PJ‡

[This message has been edited by PJ Hunt (edited 26-05-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

look, - no need to take that kind of attitude with me... I'm not of the "Keep what we know secret in case anyone takes our job" persuasion... nobody's going to take MY job!... hehehe

I simply don't know what's wrong with your site and would have to devote more time than I can afford to finding out what's wrong.

I was merely pointing out that you are just plain using the guys code instead of basing your own code on what you learned from him. You are also using his graphics which I'm sure he wouldn't be too happy with. Try to be a bit more original, while learning from examples such as the DHTML guru. I wouldn't recommend relying too heavily on DHTML and Javascript anyway.

You haven't come to the wrong place, it's just that what you have implemented on your site isn't even your own code, so it would be particularly difficult to help you debug it when a> it's quite complex to begin with and some understanding of DHTML, which you say you don't have, would be necessary, and b> it would take twice as long to explain the problems with the code to you as you didn't write the code in the first place.

Sites such as the DHTML Guru's site should be used as a learning tool, and not completely ripped/plagiarised for personal use. I stand by my comments.

OK fair enough..

But I'm nottrying to rip anyone off..
    These sites are up..looked at.and taken down..
    This works fineonmy HD butnot on the web...
    Just wanted to know why...

Thats my real nameup there...I'm nothiding behind a nic..so I wouldn'tget very far rippin off one of the most popular siteson the web would I?

I know its out of my leauge but I like to try anyways..

Onlyway I'll learn, methinks...

and its taken me 10 mins to write this damn post....spacebarisstuck....sheecchhhh...what..next?

‡PJ‡

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

But obviously the people here are of the old school of web design... i.e.
    "Keep what we know secret in case anyone takes our job"

Ya wah?

For one thing it's only recently become possible to keep anything client side secret (okay, to some extent you could do so from NS2.0 up). Copyright is a different matter to secrecy (as is the right to be recognised as the author of a piece of work, see UN Declaration of Human Rights, article 27).

The "old school" of web coders tend to favour openness about how they do things. They use an open standard after all, and they suffer whenever that open standard is abused by Microsoft, Netscape, Macromedia, etc. Most of those who take measures to prevent client-side code being copied tend not to be any good anyway (I've seen hilariously convoluted attempts to stop banal code being copied). We have all learned our craft from the openess of others and most of us have given a few pointers to others learning the skills that we have. I am not secretive about anything unless it involves revealing details about a client's business plans or would compromise their security (Passwords aren't opensource!).

When it comes to the htmlguru site, that isn't a good site to completely emulate in general anyway. It is a deliberately OTT site that would not work for much other than showing off various dHTML effects. A site that is actually intended to do something useful to an audience not specifically interested in dHTML would suffer from that many bells and whistles.

If you are trying to copy the code to learn from it then take one technique in the site, figure out how it works, emulate it, figure out how to make it work in non-dHTML browsers (example: the scrolling peice of text can easily be made to simply display as one long piece of text in lower browsers - less funky but still workable), and then think about when that technique will be useful. Don't try to learn 15 different techniques at the same time, at best you'll get stuck and try doing things one at a time, at worse you'll know 15 things badly and use them badly over and over.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice..I'll take on board what you guys said and take a different approach to my experimentation from now on...

I should have made myself clear in my first post as to what I was up to I spose...but I was too busy thinkin of tryin to get an answer at the time.....

Thanks again for the words...

And hey !! I think I should get the prize for the longest replys to a thread smile.gif

Spose I should be glad I didnt get deleted eh???

"Resist Mediocraty"

‡PJ‡

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Havent mastered DHTML, but u look like uve mastered UBB. U like the old 'bold face dont u.

Thats cuz I like writin with markers...

HOW TO BUILD A WEB PAGE IN 25 STEPS

1. Download a piece of Web authoring software - 20 minutes.

2. Think about what you want to write on your Web page - 6 weeks.

3. Download the same piece of Web authoring software, because they have released 3 new versions since the first time you downloaded it - 20 minutes.

4. Decide to just steal some images and awards to put on your site - 1 minute.

5. Visit sites to find images and awards, find 5 of them that you like - 4 days.

6. Run setup of your Web authoring software. After it fails, download it again - 25 minutes.

7. Run setup again, boot the software, click all toolbar buttons to see what they do - 15 minutes.

8. View the source of others' pages, steal some, change a few words here and there - 4 hours.

9. Preview your Web page using the Web Authoring software - 1 minute.

10. Try to horizontally line up two related images - 6 hours.

11. Remove one of the images - 10 seconds.

12. Set the text's font color to the same color as your background, wonder why all your text is gone - 4 hours.

13. Download a counter from your ISP - 4 minutes.

14. Try to figure out why your counter reads "You are visitor number -16.3 E10" - 3 hours.

15. Put 4 blank lines between two lines of text - 8 hours.

16. Fine-tune the text, then prepare to load your Web page on your ISP - 40 minutes.

17. Accidentally delete your complete web page - 1 second.

18. Recreate your web page - 2 days.

19. Try to figure out how to load your Web page onto your ISP's server - 3 weeks.

20. Call a patient friend to find out about FTP - 30 minutes.

21. Download FTP software - 10 minutes.

22. Call your friend again - 15 minutes.

23. Upload your web page to your ISP's server - 10 minutes.

24. Connect to your site on the web - 1 minute.

25. Repeat any and all of the previous steps - eternity.

http://www.jokes-funnies.com/compjokes/webpage.shtml

rotsmil.gif

‡PJ‡

Advertisement