Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - i want to learn Irish

Options
  • 09-03-2005 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

living in Dun Laoghaire and im looking for someone to teach Irish to me - Im 32 male and looking to start with 1 or 2 night a week,
    Local preferable but I can travel
    Please PM me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Pay a visit to Cúpla focail bookshop, Albert walk in Bray, they should be able to point you in the right direction, they have notices of most local classes and conversation groups in the area.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

masteire wrote:
    living in Dun Laoghaire and im looking for someone to teach Irish to me - Im 32 male and looking to start with 1 or 2 night a week,
    Please PM me

It all depends on what level you're at? Are you a complete beginner, or have rusty leaving cert Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭masteire

very very very rusty leaving cert: in fact lets call a spade a spade - A beginner"!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭[ Daithí ]

masteire wrote:
    Please PM me

There are loads of Irish lessons online, although...

I'm only 16 and intermediate so I wouldn't be much help, but you could try asking an Irish teacher from a local secondary school/college for tutoring? Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

masteire wrote:
    very very very rusty leaving cert: in fact lets call a spade a spade - A beginner"!!!!

You'd be surprised. I meet an awful lot of people who claim to have no Irish yet have a huge amount of passive Irish from their schooldays, that they're not aware of until they make a genuine attempt to use it.
    One of the first things I'd recommend is simply to watch TG4 as much as you can. Passively listening to others speaking Irish is often the easiest ways to refesh and improve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

Gael wrote:
    You'd be surprised. I meet an awful lot of people who claim to have no Irish yet have a huge amount of passive Irish from their schooldays, that they're not aware of until they make a genuine attempt to use it.
    One of the first things I'd recommend is simply to watch TG4 as much as you can. Passively listening to others speaking Irish is often the easiest ways to refesh and improve.

It's true. When Celtic League rugby was being shown on TG4 last year, I couldn't get over how much I knew and how much I more picked up. It was great. Unfortunately, the celtic league has gone to Setanta now ....

Advertisement