Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firefly

Options
  • 08-03-2005 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

whos seen this,its by josh wheadon(he of buffy and angel)its one of the bestsci-fi shows i've seen,ever!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

What channel is it on?, times etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

azezil wrote:
    What channel is it on?, times etc :)

It's not on anywhere, as far as I know. It was cancelled after a mere 14 episodes, and only available on DVD.

Great stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wouldn't consider it the best sci-fi show ever, it only had 14 episodes and never really got off the ground/reached its potential. But from the 14 episodes it did have I could see it had a lot of potential. Comparing like for like, Firefly against the first 14 episodes of other sci-fi shows, it was the best in that regard.

I'm very much looking forward to the film this September (I was so gutted when they postponed it :( ).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Stark wrote:
    I'm very much looking forward to the film this September (I was so gutted when they postponed it :( ).

You know, I'm not really looking farward to it so much. As noted, the show itself had a lot of potential, and it could've easily evolved into something with huge story arcs akin to B5 or Farscape, as there was certainly loads of plot threads planted, so to speak.

As it is a single movie (or if it's a sucsess, a whole trilogy) would just completely fall short of what a couple of full seasons of a TV series could do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I loved the 14 eps, hopefully the movies will be good.

it shouldn't have been cancelled :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

I agree, it shouldn't have been cancelled. If 'FOX' had given it half a chance it might have gained a lot more viewers.

But then, they don't give anything half a chance.

It's appalling that shows like 'The Simpsons' keep getting renewed for what, 15 seasons? Yet brilliance like 'Firefly' and 'Wonderfalls' and whatnot are cancelled without even getting one full season!

And although I would prefer for the TV series to return (who wouldn't?), I am still looking forward to 'Serenity'.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

There is going to be a 3-part comic series released before the movie. I think it is to bridge the series and the movie.

Although they are releasing each issue with 3 different covers so there will be one cover for each character. I think that is a cynical excersise to sell more comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭protos

Just watching the 14 episodes at the moment - definately the best TV show I've seen in ages. Shame it was cancelled. It must have been awfully expensive to make though - I reckon thats why it was cancelled.
    Look production quality, locations etc. The effects are great as well, - not too spectacular, just good enough to keep the storylines going - as it should be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the ship's pretty

so's the engineer

this show could have been something special

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

munky wrote:
    whos seen this,its by josh wheadon(he of buffy and angel)its one of the bestsci-fi shows i've seen,ever!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103832

done that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Adding my voice to the multitudes, probably one of my favourite Sci-Fi shows ever. The character interaction was fantastic and it left so many questions unanswered, like who was the reverend really? What was going to happen with the captain and Persiphone (sp?) leaving the ship? What abilities had the doctors sister gained from the experiments?

I a bit unsure about the movie though (And Fox wouldn't let them call it Firefly, hence Serenity). As Karl said there's a lot to be lost when converting between mediums. Will they be able to maintain the feel of the show?
    Is Joss directing it? He directed the Buffy movie didn't he? That sucked monkey balls.

Great theme tune though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Raz wrote:
    Is Joss directing it? He directed the Buffy movie didn't he? That sucked monkey balls.
    No he didn't direct the original 1992 movie. Fran Rubel Kuzui did. Whedon just wrote it. Whedon is directing the new movie though. Which I hope is good. I've got faith of the heart, noone's ever gonna take that from me...

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

ixoy wrote:
    I've got faith of the heart, noone's ever gonna take that from me...

Did you have to dirty a Firefly thread with the Enterprise theme tune? :(

Bought the Firefly DVD's last year in a sale, best purchase I think I've ever made, it was one fantastic show while it was on and am very much looking forward to seeing Serenity.
    Raz, by Persephone I'll assume you meant Inara, and I have a feeling that something would have happened to keep her around. Her relationship with Mal was one of the more prominent threads in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Mordeth wrote:
    the ship's pretty

so's the engineer

Daisy of a mechanic, really spiced it up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Amazing series. Puts other sci-fi shows to shame, some fantastic acting/writing/story-telling. A piece of pure magic, stored on film.

Looking forward to the film, like nothing before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Kevok wrote:
    Did you have to dirty a Firefly thread with the Enterprise theme tune? :(

Bought the Firefly DVD's last year in a sale, best purchase I think I've ever made, it was one fantastic show while it was on and am very much looking forward to seeing Serenity.
    Raz, by Persephone I'll assume you meant Inara, and I have a feeling that something would have happened to keep her around. Her relationship with Mal was one of the more prominent threads in the series.
    Ah... Inara! That's the one, don't know why I was thinking of yer one in the Matrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Another possible connection - didn't they land on a planet called Persephone at least once?

Gadget
    P.S.> FWIW, I think it showed enormous promise, but never got a chance to prove or disprove whether Whedon could make good on that... plus, I think once the schedule glitched at all, some of the actors/actresses got contract-tied with other work (including Buffy/Angel for Gina Torres - "Zoe"), which kinda helped put paid to the series...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Um, Zoe, Mal and Jane are all in Buffy/Angel since Firefly. I think they were cast on those shows as a sort of consolation prize after Firefly was cancelled. Whedon was hardly going to f**k up Firefly for Buffy/Angel, they are all his shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Almarsáre

Kevok wrote:
    by Persephone I'll assume you meant Inara, and I have a feeling that something would have happened to keep her around. Her relationship with Mal was one of the more prominent threads in the series.
    Aparantly the movie starts after Inara has left the ship. She is living on a planet but as she is in the movie I'm sure they'll find a way to bring her back to the ship.

Summer Glau who plays River was also in an episode of Angel. She was the prima ballerina in the episode Waiting in the Wings in Season 4. They were casting River at the time and asked her to audition.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen the various clips of Whedon and the cast at comic conventions, you really should check them out. HI-Larious.

http://www.fireflyfans.net/feature.asp?f=61

http://www.iesb.net/movies2/movie032105b.php

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

http://www.fireflyfans.net/news.asp?newsid=595

First comic book will be released (in the US anyway) July 6th.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Am I the only one who thinks this was mediocre dribble at the best. Have watched it twice now and can't see why so many people were distraught when it was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

somuj wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks this was mediocre dribble at the best. Have watched it twice now and can't see why so many people were distraught when it was cancelled.

Wow, that was some necromancy you performed there, and just so you could tell us you thought it was rubbish as well.

You now angered the internet gods twice, necroing a six year old thread and slagging "Firefly" on the internet.

I really enjoyed "Firefly" but then I've always liked Joss Whedon's stuff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

... There is indeed no need to resurrect a 6-year old thread. You could have started a new one if you needed to.

Also: you're wrong. So there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement