Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Question

Options
  • 08-03-2005 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the modem?? is actually a modem or a router? I have the always on 1MB package. I want to open some ports and I was told if it a modem all the ports are open but if its a router they're not. What do NTL generally supply with BB?

Hope all that makes sense!!! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

A modem. You shouldn't need to open any ports up.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

It's a modem that connects either via USB or Ethernet. We use Ethernet into our own router. But if it's only one PC the USB connection is fine. Firewall advisable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Zyox wrote:
    It's a modem that connects either via USB or Ethernet. We use Ethernet into our own router. But if it's only one PC the USB connection is fine. Firewall advisable though.

But it's better to use the Ethernet connection even if it's one PC.

Most UBS devices really chew CPU cycles and should be disabled or unplugged if its not being used. Cheap modems and network adapter that use USB can take a lot of the cpu power away from the computer, this is easily seen by using the Performace meters in winXP by pressing the CTRL + ALT + DEL keys to bring up the task manager. The cpu usage when some usb modems including DSL and 56k modems can be as high as 40% of a 2 ghz cpu !

Advertisement