Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLEASE HELP!! Need to get NTL cable modem working with Wireless broadband router

Options
  • 08-03-2005 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Would REALLY appreciate any assistance the local techy community can offer on this!

I recently got setup for NTL cable broadband (1.5mb line, wizzzzzzz). When the technician left my house, it was working hunkey dorey, connected directly to my laptop via ethernet cable. Ok, grand. :o

My desired config is the following:

NTL box <--> NTL modem <--> Wireless b/band router <--> PCs in house with Wireless NICs.

I had my Wireless router working a-ok with an Eircom free b/band trial previously so I know it can do the job.

Question for anyone with the know how:

How can I setup a Wireless router to work with the NTL cable modem? My wireless b/band router is a Symantec SGS 300 but I don't think that matters too much, I really just need to understand what identifiers the cable modem/connection requires. Such as hostname or MAC address spoof maybe?

Note: I contacted NTL about this and there response was that they don't support the use of Wireless routers with their NTL cable modems so they can't help. Arghh! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

Make sure that the Router supports Cable Broadband. Not all wireless Routers workm with Cable.

Check what the manual or box says.

Other then that not much I could add. I have a Belking working just fine with NTL. Never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Try this

How do I power cycle my modem?

Turn off your modem and unplug it from its power source. Leave it off and disconnected from power for two to three minutes. Then plug it back in, turn it back on, and try to connect again.

I presume you already have an cable from your NTL modem to your wireless router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 zoltar

Hi,

Many thanks for the responses.

I'm pretty sure the Wireless router supports a connection from the cable modem but I'll defo d-check this.

I've tried power cycling each device many times, in different combinations.

I'm going to keep plugging away at the troubleshooting this eve.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please do let me know.

My main query to those who have it working with a wireless broadband router is, did you need to enter any specific config such as hostname, MAC address, etc? or did it just work!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Keep in mind that the Modem will 'adhere' itself to the MAC/ethernet address of the first device it connects to. With this in mind, detach your cable modem from everything except the power cord. Now turn the modem off and back on. Do not connect it to anything for about 30 seconds until the LEDs have settled (or at least until the sync LED is solid). At that point, connect it to your router.

See what happens then.

Also, don't bother with the wireless connectivity yet. Just concern yourself with ethernet from laptop to router to modem. When that's running worry about wireless.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to find info on the SGS 300 that you have. As far as I can see it's an access point. I don't think that's any good to you. It's not a router.

Edit: It's a gateway/router so it should do the trick. Found this here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 zoltar

Thanks for the advice.

Here is a webpage with further info on the wireless router:
    http://www.symantec.com/smallbiz/gtw/

It should be a fully functional router as far as I know, routing traffic to/from WAN port <--> LAN ports.

I'm going to try the disconnect, wait a good amt of time, then reconnect, let settle then plug in wireless router.

Will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

the link you mentioned has further links..

looking at:
    http://www.symantec.com/smallbiz/gtw/pdf/10224354_Card.pdf
    it has the following:
    Configuring your appliance
    The first time you access the appliance, the Setup Wizard guides
    you through getting Internet connectivity.
    To configure the appliance
    1. In a Web browser, in the address text box, type 192.168.0.1.
    2. Press Enter.
    3. In the Setup Wizard, follow the prompts to connect the
    appliance to the Internet.
    Where to get more information
    For more information on configuring your appliance, see the
    following documents:
    – Installation Guide
    – Getting Started Guide
    – Administrator ’s Guide
    See the Release Notes for the latest compatibility and functionality
    information.
    Online Help is available by clicking the Help button at the top
    right of each screen.

did you set up the router to work with dynamic ip addressing via the internal address above (having an ethernet connection between pc & router only)? this is probably one of the prompts.

disconnect everything from mains as soon as you've done above.
    plug in modem power after 30 secs
    wait for SYNC & RDY lights (if it's the silver modem)
    plug ethernet lead from modem into router & turn on router
    >router gets IP address from ntl DHCP
    turn on pc
    the router should assign the pc an IP (should be 192.168.0.x) unless you need to specify an IP on your pc as well.

in case you need ntl dns servers they are here

BTW - ntl won't help with setting up the router / wireless side of things but they can check if the router has obtained an IP from their dhcp

from: http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_faqs_technical.html#38
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Will I be able to use the service with all PCs connected to my home local LAN?
    ......... Please note that ntl do not support this multi-computers environment...........
    [/font]

also try the ntl newsgroups
    someone there may have the same router and give you exact instructions

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I got my access point working with the ntl cable modem. I restarted the modem on its own, then I plugged in the access point and reset it. It defaulted to mimicing the modem ip address.

I've since added a router that allows multiple dhcp addresses via the access point.

Have you rest the access point so that it will take the modem ip by default?

Advertisement