Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B.I.S. or M.S.I.S.S.

Options
  • 07-03-2005 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi people which of these do you think is the best course, I should be able to get 485 pts for M.S.I.S.S. got more in the mocks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Well I'm a 2nd year in BIS in UCC and I’d highly recommend the course. But if you’re looking to go to college and be able to go out most nights of the week, stay in bed till 2, not turn up for lectures and not do a tap till the month off then DON'T DO IT!!!

It’s really tuff and the project work is a right bollix but it is one of the best courses to day! 3rd year placement usually takes ya to America where you can earn anything up to $800 - $900 a week! Some of the English companies pay about £700, which is over a grand €! And you'll probably have a full time job before you sit your final year exams in may!(that’s what the suits predict anyways)

But i guess you wouldn't really be looking at that right now, so I’d say take a look at what you'd be doing in first year!

Management Information systems and systems analysis and design methods
    Visual programming using VB6(probably vb.net from next year on)
    Technology and web development(XHTML and java script)
    Financial accounting(introduction)
    Management accounting(intro)
    Economics(intro)
    then ya got options between marketing and management!

Hope this Helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 haaz

I emailed UCC and I got this reply:

My name is Gaye Kiely and I am Co-Director of the BSc. Business Information Systems degree programme here at UCC. Your email was forwarded to me. I have looked at the programme structure for MSISS at Trinity College Dublin and compared it to the BSc BIS programme at UCC. My opinion would be that there are some key differences between the two programmes:

· BSc. BIS is built around a six-month, paid industry placement. Students complete third year in February and then work for six months. This allows the student to gain valuable practical experience and increases employability as they already have industry experience when applying for positions in final year.

· MSISS focuses a lot on mathematics and statistical analysis. It would seem to be geared more towards students interested in data analytics (a great area to pursue!). The BSc. BIS takes a broader approach (see table below). BIS students take a lot of business modules (accounting, management, economics, marketing etc.) as well as technology modules, as the programme is focused on preparing graduates to work in business environments and apply technology to solve problems/leverage opportunities.

Both programmes have a final year project as a capstone on four years of learning. In the case of BIS, students identify an innovative idea and build it from the ground up (feasibility, requirements gathering, specifications, coding, testing and deployment).

With respect to career prospects, either programme would put you in a great position for future employability. IT is at the centre of most aspects of life and work, so employers are eager to welcome graduates who understand how technology can be used.

I hope the above provides some assistance. If you have follow-up questions about BIS, just reply to this email. I am happy to answer any questions you might have about the programme.

Best regards,

Gaye

Here's a table comparing the 2, and there are some links with more info in the description of the photo.

imgur(dot)com/a/g9cgF2l

Replace the dot with an actual dot. I can't post image links cos I'm a new user.

Honestly, if you have the brains for MSISS I'd recommend it. I'm biased as I'm in 3rd year MSISS atm. You'd wanna consider if you even want to move to Dublin, it's a big thing that I am really happy I did, but you have to make a conscious effort to go to events to make friends in the new city and stuff. Studying in the middle of Dublin is class, about 30/35 people in your year in MSISS will be top-notch and that'll rub off on you, especially in the group projects. Nightlife in Dublin is much better and you meet cool new people in the city all the time, instead of seeing the same people all the time in Cork. Definitely have a close look at the modules because a college course is really just the sum of its modules, that's what you'll be spending 2-7 hours working on most days. Moving out is **** if you're not on top of your **** as you'll be hungry and your house will be a mess and you'll be poor, but if you're on the ball it's class and almost worth going to college alone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod: Please do not bump old threads. Create a new one instead

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement