Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod Vs Creative

Options
  • 07-03-2005 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

What do people believe is the best the 40g Ipod or Creative??? We are only talking about the 40g models here as they are the most similer in both features and prices.

Ipod Or Creative 35 votes

Ipod
    0% 0 votes
    Creative
    100% 35 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I don't like Creatives! Three have broken on me. I also find that iPods are just a fashion accesory(sp?). I have the Sony one which is quite sexy IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

The 40G ipod does look better than the 40G Creative, but everyone has an ipod so a Creative would be a welcomed change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

the ipod has one flaw tho. The battery stops dead after 1 and a half years and you have to pay 60 euro every 1 and a half years just to keep it running. Its a nice little profit maker for apple so they didnt do anything to fix it. At least you know that your creative model will keep on running no matter what. Personally I like independent providers such as www.mp3playerstore.com they make their own good mp3 players and they ship from canada to ireland in 4 days on DHL and its a very good service to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

I think the iPod, have a 3G 20GB at the moment.
    Every damn idiot now has an iPod now though, might get a Sony soon since they support MP3 now.

Ive had 4 Creatives and they all broke numerous times.

Oh and jakkass mine is over 1.5 years old, still gettin 6/7 hours playback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

apple don't make 40gb models anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

iRiver are the front runners - no one else gives ogg vorbis support, colour screen , photo and video viewer and voice activation at a much cheaper price than iPods or Creatives.
    Seriously, look them up , fight the iPod!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Iriver. Strange that if you have heard of creative you haven't come across the iriver too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I voted creative just for the sake of voting against iPod. Battery Life Battery Life Battery Life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

who cares if loads of people have the ipod

does what it's supposed to do. havent had a chance of using a creative yet but the ipod works grand for me

. I also find that iPods are just a fashion accesory(sp?).
    I have the Sony one which is quite sexy IMO

Seems like a contradiction to me.

Voted ipod as I have one and like it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Theres a problem with the poll, they appear as checkboxes not radiobutton, so its possible to check both options.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ipod for ease of use. I dislike the look of the zen and it's user interface.

I know the iPod has it's limitations and I'm well aware of them, however, they don't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

iRiver are the front runners - no one else gives ogg vorbis support, colour screen , photo and video viewer and voice activation at a much cheaper price than iPods or Creatives.
    Seriously, look them up , fight the iPod!

IRiver.. cheaper? Also, not all IRiver players offer Ogg and some of those that do have serious issues with it. Also, who cares really? WMA sounds superior (as tested in independant tests like Aces Hardware, etc) and MP3 is the defacto standard. Introducing another format with zero industry support and unclear competitive postitioning doesnt seem like all that hot an idea.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd go for the iPod every time. I had a 20GB Zen NX in which the hard-drive died after three months, forcing me to change it for a 30GB Zen Xtra in which the headphone socket broke after just six weeks. I'd taken great care of both of them and still they broke so when I brought the Xtra back, I forked out the extra cash and got a 40GB iPod and haven't had a single problem with it in five months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Ipod. I got a 20gb zen touch at christmas, and it was nothing but trouble. The touchpad was very fiddly, it froze up at least once a day and died totally after two weeks or so. The battery was great though. I replaced it with a 40gb ipod, and its fantastic, it just works! does exactly what its supposed to. I don't know, or care what ogg is and a colour screen is just a gimmicky drain on the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

creatives are good for the cheap option, but if you want ease of use, the iPod is the one. Had a creative labs and hated it as the menus where so annoying.
    If i had a choice between all the mp3s out there, get an iRIVER!!!! they are the best MP3 player on the market by far, you loose a bit on the menus but the option to play anything and to record live and they are cheaper (last time I checked)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

1. Creative for it's battery, build and sound quality.
    2. iPod for style and it's slimness.
    3. iRiver for versatility.
    4. Sony for brand identity, build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

iRiver any day - I'm very happy with my H320 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Matt Simis wrote:
    IRiver.. cheaper? Also, not all IRiver players offer Ogg and some of those that do have serious issues with it. Also, who cares really? WMA sounds superior (as tested in independant tests like Aces Hardware, etc) and MP3 is the defacto standard. Introducing another format with zero industry support and unclear competitive postitioning doesnt seem like all that hot an idea.

Matt

Ogg Vorbis is not some new crack pot format , it is the best quality for size - being the same quality as mp3 but over 3 times smaller . Wma = Gay , see my rhyming. But it is true though.

Sorry to reopen this thread but also I got my iriver h320 there a few days and im sorry to say all previos post except mine and offlercrocgods have been in vain - It is GOD , kneel before it and burn your ipods and creatives....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

well i never would've guessed this would have been so close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

iRiver without a doubt.

There is a new operating system coming out for the H1XX developed by RockBox that will introduce amongst others:

--3 second boot up
    --otf playlists
    --gameboy emulator to play game boy games on your H1XX
    --I think they have gapless playback
    --idle password option (at a party, enqueue some songs, nobody will wreck your playlist, let alone be able to do anything :D)
    --possibility of crossfader between headphone and optical out allowing you two effectively have one song playing through the optical out, line up another song with your headphones and be able to crossfade the songs so it's like a little DJ mixer.
    --bookmark (mark a point in a song/audio book etc and when you go back to that song, it will resume from the point) perfect if you were listening to a book on the dart, then played music when walking and you can continue your book when you get back on the dart.
    --view images in greyscale on your H1XX screen
    --customisable screen settings (fonts/whats displayed etc) perfect for car use when you cant look at the screen closely
    --stopwatch
    --pong/minesweeper/solitaire/snake
    --calculator

this is all ON TOP of what the iRiver has already been winning best mp3 player awards for. Best hardware combined with best software. There is no competition really

attachment.php?attachmentid=1034

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

what about the rio karma - supposed to be the best sounding of all the mp3 players.
    irivers look uuuuuggggllly and dont give a crap about their customers - check the forums at iriver.com esp. the vbr problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

I have latched onto this thread cos I reckon there is a few experts here, Have a gawk at this, thanks, Mark http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=244901

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

have to go against the ipod, just because of the battery. Had a 3G one thats just after dying. Useless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i went for ipod i dont no y i just like 'em :D
    u can get some nice extras and mods for ipods too such as changing the battery and modding the screen my favourite been the itrip.
    creative's 40gig's look like tapeplayers only the zen looks nice but thats something like 5gig i think?
    iriver is nice but some of the extra stuff like video playback is kinda useless how often wud u set down and watch a movie on a tiny screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

cormie wrote:
    iRiver without a doubt.

There is a new operating system coming out for the H1XX developed by RockBox that will introduce amongst others:

That sounds like the best thing ever! I love my iRiver already, but this would make it absolutely the best thing on the market...

Have you tried it yourself?

Edit: About the iRiver: He's talking about the H100 series, not the H300 - no video playing, or battery wasting colour screen. My battery on it lasts well over 20 hours continuous playing - this is something I've tested. It's not so great on battery with serious hard-drive use though. The only problem I have with it is it's boot time, which gets really high as you fill the hard drive.

You never mentioned it's best feature though - no drivers needed for any OS! You can plug it into any computer after Win 98 (before SE) and it'll just work! Also: No copy protection rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    i went for ipod i dont no y i just like 'em :D
    u can get some nice extras and mods for ipods too such as changing the battery and modding the screen my favourite been the itrip.
    might look into changing the battery myself. i've had my ipod for nearly a year now and the battery life is truely crapforked :(
    i still prefer my 3g ipod to my flatmate's creative zen touch... there's just something special about it.
    i wouldn't hesitate to buy another ipod over any of its competitors if this one breaks down.

the new sony one is looking fairly mint though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

i had a zen creative 20gb and this is a true story i ordered it of amazon 2 months ago for £179 i think and with all extra charges etc it worked out at €250 so that was grand and a couple days later i got it so everything was going grand i had 500 songs on it and loads of albums etc when one morning i turned it on and none of the button would work,kept trying and charging it and different things so in the end i called creative ireland and they told me to get a refund or replacement of amazon as this is a lknown problem

so keep this in mind (but dont let it put you of buying one as its way better than the i pod and i was just one of the unlucky people)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

i was investigating the ipod vs the creative's as I'm looking to buy one of them. I'm leaning towards the creative because the battery is a simple AAA batterry that i can change inexspensively. Also the creative MuVo (the one I like the most) is smaller than the ipod mini.

• Advertisement
Advertisement