Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading Help

Options
  • 07-03-2005 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

I have just purchased a ruger .220 swift and i am considering reloading for it.
    Has anyone had any bad experiences with reloading e.g bullets not firing etc.
    What do i need to get started?
    And finally is there any videos/dvds or books available that can give me some helpful tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

My wife went into a gun shop before christmas a few years ago and asked the the owner for all the equipment needed for reloading it was a great suprise but I had no idea what i was doing and most of my first reloads were a bit of a disaster, it was only after I got video on how to reload that I got the benefit from it
    RCBS do good video, try www.sinclairintl.com or there is a gunshop in Leixlip that sells reloading gear, there might be a problem getting primers and powder though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

As far as I know reloading is still illegal in Ireland but modifying rounds is ok??
    Maybe Sparks can clear this up for us?
    Never had a bother with reloaded rounds failing to fire,even if knocking them out on a multi station press.The ones made up as "clones" on a single station press with every powder charge weighed individually were far better than standard commercial rounds and about as good as "Batched" target stuff, as I could select load,powder type and grain weight of the heads for different calibres and purposes.
    It is a fair bit of work though and you would want to have a fair interest in it, though I know guys who only load and don't actually shoot or hunt at all!
    Again, this may not be practicable in Ireland at the moment or even ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I don't reload myself Musashi (it'd be a bit pointless for .22lr rounds :D ) so this is merely how it was explained to me, don't take it as gospel - reloading's not illegal in Ireland. Owning and operating the presses and so on is legal. Owning the brass and the bullets is legal. But primers and propellant are classed as explosives and getting those is much harder. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember an explosives licence being involved?
    Civdef would probably be the one to ask on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

Musashi

Sparks is right (as always) :rolleyes:

you can own all the equipment except the powder and primer! the law states that if you have a license for a full bore rifle then you are also allowed the ammo and components thereof! but this is were the dept of justice and the garda come into play..... they wont let any shops import powder and primer because they wont issue an import license even though ANYBODY can walk into a gun shop in the U.k and buy powder and primer over the counter with no firearms license!!

Just doesn’t make sense :confused:

If you want some details in getting some components pm me!!

bernard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Sparks wrote:
    I'm not sure, but I seem to remember an explosives licence being involved?

I dont think i would go that far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sharp shot

E@gle. wrote:
    I have just purchased a ruger .220 swift and i am considering reloading for it.
    Has anyone had any bad experiences with reloading e.g bullets not firing etc.
    What do i need to get started?
    And finally is there any videos/dvds or books available that can give me some helpful tips.
    i loaded a220 ruger for two years and found not to seat the bullet head to near the rifiling also cci primers vv 160 drives a fast flat round also the lee hand book is good for all round help with loats of different loads also trim case lenth :D

Advertisement