Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a GPS

Options
  • 07-03-2005 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Im on the lookout for a basic, but decent handheld GPS.
    On the garmin site, they show software called MetroGuide Europe V6, which shows a good lot of map info for Ireland.

Im just wondering if anyone has used this software before? Im aiming my search for the GPS mainly on EBay so hopefully a decent one will pop up.

If anyone has any recommendations or tips, Id love to read them! :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

wat is that used for. is it the same as sat nav?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Well its basically a handheld global positioning system.. for use when hiking etc. MetroGuide Europe V6 is the software that can go onto Garmin GPS systems and gives you some map detail to look at on your little screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Are you using it for hiking? It's no good unless you can already read a map and use a compass.

FX Meister wrote:
    Are you using it for hiking? It's no good unless you can already read a map and use a compass.

Yes I can use a compass. Im experienced enough in hiking in Ireland and in South America. I dont go anywhere near a mountain without maps and a compass. That wont be changing. The GPS is 50% for hiking and 50% for sorting out my urge for a new gadget!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

if u have a blutooth pda i would buy a bluetooth gps sensor for 150 euro, u can put this in ur pocket or backpack(still works without sky view), and i can sell u mapsonic software for say 30euro that does the whole of europe on 4 cds. this is the best setup short of a fitted radio/gps.

• Advertisement

lomb wrote:
    if u have a blutooth pda i would buy a bluetooth gps sensor for 150 euro, u can put this in ur pocket or backpack(still works without sky view), and i can sell u mapsonic software for say 30euro that does the whole of europe on 4 cds. this is the best setup short of a fitted radio/gps.

I dont have a bluetooth PDA unfortunately.

Here's the one Ive found that seems to be quite good. I wont be paying that price for it though, thats why Im hunting on Ebay.

http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=GPS_ETREX-L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 imre

MetroGuide Europe V6 is pretty good but don't expect full coverage for Ireland though major cities (Dublin, Cork, etc) are very detailed (street level map).

I have a new (used only once still in box) Garmin Etrex Vista for Sale with MetroGuide Europe V6 and Worldmap.

Let me know if you are intersted.
    I am located in Dublin.

imre wrote:
    MetroGuide Europe V6 is pretty good but don't expect full coverage for Ireland though major cities (Dublin, Cork, etc) are very detailed (street level map).

I have a new (used only once still in box) Garmin Etrex Vista for Sale with MetroGuide Europe V6 and Worldmap.

Let me know if you are intersted.
    I am located in Dublin.

Hmm...I might be... Check your PMs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Very interesting thread - I'm just learning about GPS now and hoping to buy a receiver soon. But first I need to learn alot - can someone point out a few good resources on the net please. Yes I Googled for it but am finding it difficult to sift through the chaff. Any British or Irish resources in particular would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Try this site for info and free stuff - maps etc

http://gpss.npl.com/wheregps.htm

I bought a USB module from the following. I had to ask for the gadget to be posted here as the site doesn't mention posting overseas. As usual over here, you get charged an arm and a leg for anything!

http://www.joopswebshop.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Jefferson Darcy

trap4 wrote:
    Any British or Irish resources in particular would be appreciated.

www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk is a very good site. Lots of info, reviews and good forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Trotter wrote:
    Im on the lookout for a basic, but decent handheld GPS.
    On the garmin site, they show software called MetroGuide Europe V6, which shows a good lot of map info for Ireland.

Im just wondering if anyone has used this software before? Im aiming my search for the GPS mainly on EBay so hopefully a decent one will pop up.

If anyone has any recommendations or tips, Id love to read them! :cool:

Over here TomTom units are very popular!!!

Advertisement